Vista Audio

Has anyone looked into using WaveRT, (WASAPI), as a means for dealing with Vista's, (Windows 7), audio.

MSDN on WASAPI: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd371455(VS.85).aspx

MSDN on WaveRT: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa474703.aspx

Does anyone know if any support for Vista/Win7 audio is under construction, or if anyone is working on UDFs for it?

(Found some stuff at The Codeproject, though it looks like Greek to me, :D ). And yes, I have checked out the fine works of Volly and other excellent coders.

EDIT:

OOPS! Double posting! My bad.

Edited by OldCoder
"Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change."                                      - Stephen Hawking                                        "...not the ability to exploit others."                                                  - OldCoder

Does it really matter? We all have a habit of re-inventing the wheel around here anyway. I have not seen anything relating to Vista Audio for a long time now. If you have an idea for a UDF then I suggest you just go ahead and work at it. I'm sure that the others who have worked on audio UDFs would be more than grateful for anything you discover.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

*GERMAN* [note: you are not allowed to remove author / modified info from my UDFs]My UDFs:[_SetImageBinaryToCtrl] [_TaskDialog] [AutoItObject] [Animated GIF (GDI+)] [ClipPut for Image] [FreeImage] [GDI32 UDFs] [GDIPlus Progressbar] [Hotkey-Selector] [Multiline Inputbox] [MySQL without ODBC] [RichEdit UDFs] [SpeechAPI Example] [WinHTTP]UDFs included in AutoIt: FTP_Ex (as FTPEx), _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes

Nice. I've been friggin' with it for awhile and have come to the conclusion that I am beating my head against Microsoft's proprietary wall. Think this has to do with MS moneys/greed or just more MS short sightedness?

Mein Deutsch ist nicht gut, so getting through your previous post will take a moment, (or three). Thanks for your reply, man. First real one I've gotten since I've join this forum. Haben sie einen guten tag. And danke.

Does it really matter? We all have a habit of re-inventing the wheel around here anyway. I have not seen anything relating to Vista Audio for a long time now. If you have an idea for a UDF then I suggest you just go ahead and work at it. I'm sure that the others who have worked on audio UDFs would be more than grateful for anything you discover.

If it didn't REALLY matter, I wouldn't have posted. This seems to be a large issue, the effects of which are spreading throughout AutoIt forums and members. Windows 7 is all but here and its audio make up seems to have been inherited from Vista. This isn't an issue that is going away quietly...well, unless we all switch to Linux. Not my first choice.

Anywho, I'll keep chopping away at it and see what I can do. If I come up with anything substantial, like ProgAndy, I'll post here. Wish me luck.

:D Cheers.

Edited by OldCoder
"Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change."                                      - Stephen Hawking                                        "...not the ability to exploit others."                                                  - OldCoder

What I meant was, it doesn't really matter if someone is already working at it. Just go ahead and do it if you feel it's lacking. It makes no difference if someone else is working on the same thing. If you find out later that they are, you may be able to combine your efforts.

I did not mean that your issue doesn't matter and you're correct in the statements about it being an issue with Vista and Win 7.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

My plugin works in Win7 as well. You can do it in AutoIt using the MemoryDll UDF, but it's messy working with COM that way. It seemed much more useful and easier to write a plugin.

Oh, yes. It's a nice piece of work. Especially as hard as all this seems to be. Though it is a handy plugin and UDFs, I am concerned with a greater scope of issues. Such as individual card selection in a multi-sound card system, playback and record device selection and manipulation, etc. I know, I know... as complicated as this is I should feel lucky there is anything available, and I am, really. Its just that I am creating this complex audio program that works great in XP, but, for obvious reasons, not at all in Vista or Windows 7.

What I meant was, it doesn't really matter if someone is already working at it. Just go ahead and do it if you feel it's lacking. It makes no difference if someone else is working on the same thing. If you find out later that they are, you may be able to combine your efforts.

The reason it mattered to me is because I am hitting a wall and was hoping someone could help guide me toward the right direction. Perhaps there is something obvious, (or not so obvious), that I was overlooking.

Really do appreciate everyones input. I'll keep hacking away at it, but, I fear, I am at the point of throwing my hands in the air and just making this program for XP users only. I hate to go there, but it seems I'd have to learn C++ or VB to really get into this, and frankly, I am an AutoIt fan...like to stay right here.

Again, thanks all.

:D Cheers

VB has similar syntax to autoit, and you should be able to pick it up quickly. No need to limit yourself.

Yeah, you're right. And I had learned some VB back with old VB3, but I didn't like the language much. That's why I came to AutoIt. Easy to program, FREE, and no MS proprietary DLLs needed. Plus, by the time I had decided on AutoIt I had already learned more languages then I had cared to. If I had learned as many spoken languages, I'd have been working at the UN by now. :D

I hate to do it, but it looks like I am going to have to break down and learn C++. It is widely used and has a massive support system. And, everytime I have a blockage here in AutoIt, it seems the answers can always be found in C++, (sometimes VB).

OK, I've blathered on long enough. Thanks again to all respondents. Take care.

:D Cheers

Edited by OldCoder