.au3 vs. .exe question

When I run this code as a script (F5 in SciTE) or compiled (with Aut2exe) the output (by MsgBox) is different. Now I'm running this under MS Vista, and I know that it probably won't run correctly, in fact it doesn't, but my question is why are the two outputs different? For more info, when run as a script, both functions output 49, and the compiled code outputs 100 (both functions).

#include <Audio.au3>
_SoundGetMasterVolume()
_GetMixerVolume(0)
MsgBox(0, "", "SoundGetMasterVolume() = " & _SoundGetMasterVolume() & @crlf & "GetMixerVolume(0) = " & _GetMixerVolume(0))

Thanks,

- Bruce /*somdcomputerguy */  If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

• Moderators

If you put #RequireAdmin at the top of your script then compile, what output do you get then?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Vista has per-application audio settings. Chances are, you've set the AutoIt3.exe sound settings to 49 and Vista has remembered this. When you compile the script into an EXE Vista considers it a different application with it's own audio settings. This different (compiled) application has not changed the volume.

My comments are making a lot of assumptions. I do not know exactly how Vista's audio system works nor do I know if it stores the volume settings across separate runs of the same program. If Vista does save and restore the per-application audio settings and Vista does behave how I think with true audio settings isolation then your results are expected.

If you put #RequireAdmin at the top of your script then compile, what output do you get then?

Same thing. FWIW, the account I created and executed the script in is an admin account, I'm going to create a regular public account and try it again.

Just to make sure I'm getting this across, I am aware of audio/sound problems with Vista, and I'm not trying to get this to work in Vista (well that would be nice, and I am going about it in different ways..), but I asked the question initially to ask why the difference between the au3 and an exe..

Edited by snowmaker

- Bruce /*somdcomputerguy */  If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.