Using Remote assistance

nbtech

Before you say it, I know there are other options out there but I have been given the task by my company, to make Remote Assistance work. The problem is, having all the systems work the same and the services that were already running or not running etc. I wrote this as one of my first scripts. Feel free to give pointers. What it does is queries our SMS server, then you take that information and type it in, then it disables their firewall, enables remote support, opens the remote assistance page and types in the system name. After closing help and support remote assistance, it then restores the firewall and remote support services to their previous state. I know it's sloppy but I'm new and inexperienced so any pointers are greatly appreciated.

$firewallsvc = 1
$remoteassistancesvc = 1

;Obtains report from SMS of user system. Does not automatically obtain info, in case more than one system appear
$username = InputBox("Select User", "Logon name of user to access", "")
ShellExecute("http://smsserver/SMSReporting_CM1/Report.asp?ReportID=12&variable=" & $username)
Sleep(1000)
WinActivate("Select User")

;Input of the system to connect to
$system = InputBox("System Name", "Enter the name of the system to connect to", "")

;Firewall service checked and disabled
RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & "sc \\" & $system & " query SharedAccess > temp.txt", "", @SW_HIDE)
$line = FileReadLine("temp.txt", 4)
$line2 = FileReadLine("temp.txt", 2)
If $line2 <> "SERVICE_NAME: SharedAccess" Then
    MsgBox(0, "FAILED", "Connect Failed, Contact your administrator")
    Exit
EndIf
If $line = "        STATE             : 4  RUNNING " Then
    RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & "sc \\" & $system & " stop SharedAccess > temp.txt", "", @SW_HIDE)
    $firewallsvc = 10
    RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & "sc \\" & $system & " query SharedAccess > temp.txt", "", @SW_HIDE)
    If $line = "        STATE             : 1  STOPPED " Then
        MsgBox(0, "Firewall", "Windows Firewall and ICS has been disabled", 3)
    EndIf
ElseIf $line = "        STATE             : 1  STOPPED " Then
    MsgBox(0, "Firewall", "Windows Firewall and ICS were already disabled", 3)
EndIf

;Checking and starting Remote Assistance service
RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & "sc \\" & $system & " query RDSessMgr > temp.txt", "", @SW_HIDE)
#MsgBox(0, "Remote Assistance", "RA is"&$line)
If $line = "        STATE             : 1  STOPPED " Then
    RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & "sc \\" & $system & " start RDSessMgr > temp.txt", "", @SW_HIDE)
    $remoteassistancesvc = 10
    RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & "sc \\" & $system & " query RDSessMgr > temp.txt", "", @SW_HIDE)
    If $line = "        STATE             : 4  RUNNING " Then
        MsgBox(0, "Remote Assistance", "RA service has been started", 3)
    EndIf
ElseIf $line = "        STATE             : 4  RUNNING " Then
    MsgBox(0, "Remote Assistance", "Remote Assistance was already running", 3)
EndIf

;Opens Help and Support Remote Assistance
ShellExecute("hcp://cn=microsoft%20corporation,l=redmond,s=washington,c=us/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/Unsolicitedrcui.htm")
WinWaitActive("Help and Support Center")
Sleep(1500)
Send($system)

WinWaitClose("Help and Support Center")

;ending remote assistance
If $remoteassistancesvc = 10 Then
    RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & "sc \\" & $system & " stop RDSessMgr > temp.txt", "", @SW_HIDE)
    If $line = "        STATE             : 3  STOP_PENDING " Then
        $waiting = 30
        While $waiting = 30
            MsgBox(0, "waiting", "Waiting", 1)
            Sleep(5000)
            If $line = "        STATE             : 1  STOPPED " Then $waiting = 10
        WEnd
    EndIf
    MsgBox(0, "Remote Assistance", "Remote Assistance Service on " & $system & " has been stopped")
ElseIf $remoteassistancesvc = 1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Remote Assistance", "Remote Assistance was not stopped on " & $system & " because it was already started")
EndIf

;restarting firewall service
If $firewallsvc = 10 Then
    RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & "sc \\" & $system & " start SharedAccess > temp.txt", "", @SW_HIDE)
    If $line <> "       STATE             : 4  RUNNING " Then
        $waiting = 30
        While $waiting = 30
            MsgBox(0, "waiting", "Waiting", 1)
            Sleep(5000)
            If $line = "        STATE             : 1  STOPPED " Then $waiting = 10
        WEnd
    EndIf
    MsgBox(0, "Firewall Service", "Firewall Service on " & $system & " has been restarted")
ElseIf $firewallsvc = 1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Firewall", "Windows Firewall and ICS was not restarted on " & $system & " because it was already stopped")
EndIf

FileDelete("temp.txt")
Edited by nbtech

• 3 years later...
  • Moderators

sbailey5, are you on SMS still or on SCCM (as this post is 3 years old)? There is an SCCM UDF in my signature that may be better for you.

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

OK, I look at the code and it looks like simply changing the sms server link will get the search script to function. however, the shell execute will only work for Windows XP. It won't work for Windows 7. Wish it did, I am looking for a script that will work in Windows 7 and will do it unsolicited without requesting control or user interaction at all.

I can get AutoIt to ask for the computer name and run the msra.exe /offerra command on the computer name. However, I can't get the winactivates to work on the remote computer.

$ComputerName = 'Remote ComputerName'

Run(@ComSpec & ' /c msra.exe /offerra ' & $ComputerName, @TempDir, @SW_HIDE)

WinWait("Windows Remote Assistance")

WinActivate("Windows Remote Assistance")

ControlClick("Windows Remote Assistance", "", "[CLASS:Button; TEXT:Yes; INSTANCE:1]")

• Moderators

Definitely. Are you on 2007 or 2012?

Edit: just saw your response further up. I am releasing the new version of the script here in a few days; it includes not only the software delivery and right click tools, but hardware imaging and User State Migration.

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

• Moderators

We are just starting to migrate to Windows 7 and I am trying to come up with a method to use Windows 7 built in remote assistance.

Is there a reason you're not using the Remote Tools through SCCM? RA is doable in Win7 if you're remote controlling another Win7 box. Sucks in a mixed environment though.