Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zenodice

Macro Security

5 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

I have a series of tools I want to provide to a small group, thing is, I want to ensure these tools are NOT distributed outside this group, currently I'm using a password form (thanks again Lazycat for Koda, wonderful work that is!) with just a plaintext password check in the code (so if people decompiled the executable, the password is right there), obviously this would be worthless for ensure that the files will not be distributed as the password could just be given out to anyone at anytime.

Here is my theory on how I could make things secure.

Make a form where a user logs in with a username and password and once they click login, the script will check a username and pass.txt (of course they wouldnt see any of this and the access to those texts would be limited only to a custom account used by the program) I have hosted on a private FTP / site, if their login name and password is not in the list, they don't get in. Combine that and maybe pass the IP / computer name to a logfile and verify that users are not sharing their accounts and that should work.

What do you guys think?

Are there any better ways to ensure that the tools do not get redistributed?

Do you know a better approach to this situation or perhaps there was a thread I missed on this, if so, please feel free to share ideas, I'd love to hear what some of the more experienced users think.

Of course, if people find a way to decompile the executable, i'm pretty much screwed and I'm sure there is nothing I can do about that. However, is there anything I can do to ensure that the code is harder to crack or decompile? I'd really like to secure the hard work i've been putting into these scripts.

Thanks for any input users here can give.

Edited by Zenodice

Not another protection and decompilation thread !

Please have mercy ! :D

Better search all the other threads. There's also a couple of protection udfs, also check the obfuscator option.

Not another protection and decompilation thread !

Please have mercy ! :D

Better search all the other threads. There's also a couple of protection udfs, also check the obfuscator option.

This may be n00bish but I did look for threads prior to posting this and didn't see too much, would it be possible to direct me towards a few of these UDFs you're referring to?

If not, i'll see if I can locate them myself.

Try that first... :D

I've searched for macro security and UDF (though I dont understand 100% what the acronym means, I was thinking maybe user defined file/format?) none of the results helped me with what i'm looking for. I found mixed results on an abundant amount of topics which had no relation to securing my code through obfuscating it or similar user/password login systems.

I'm mainly wondering if anyone has direct experience with this kind of thing, I have an idea on how I'm going to do it now, but any thread that has actual examples of people trying to accomplish the same thing would be helpful to me.

As I said, I'm not experienced enough to know what everything means yet (i.e: UDF) and I have some ideas on how to approach the situation, I just think guidance from people who have obviously broached the topic before would be far more valuable in pushing me in the right direction.