TutorIt

Insolence

Oh man, 5 hours later... this was a pretty big pain in the ass :)

Basically this is an easily managable set of 'tutorials' new comers will be able to easily learn from. I'm not sure if it needs more explaining, the zip should give it all away. I haven't tested it with multiple tutorials or anything yet, so I doubt it will work.

Give the 'Basics' tutorial a little whirl, not really much yet. I'm pretty drained right now, so the more eyes on this the better. I'm sure there are quite a few mistakes.

TutorIT.zip

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him." - Mark TwainPatient: "It hurts when I do $var_"Doctor: "Don't do $var_" - Lar.

Oh man, 5 hours later... this was a pretty big pain in the ass :)

Basically this is an easily managable set of 'tutorials' new comers will be able to easily learn from.  I'm not sure if it needs more explaining, the zip should give it all away.  I haven't tested it with multiple tutorials or anything yet, so I doubt it will work. 

Give the 'Basics' tutorial a little whirl, not really much yet.  I'm pretty drained right now, so the more eyes on this the better.  I'm sure there are quite a few mistakes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this is a nice idea, and I like the way it works.

Suggestions:

1. Make the message boxes always on top.

2. After saying "Open her up", give instructions in the message box how to proceed.

3. In the instruction to "Finally name it: First Script", add the .AU3 extension.

Bugs:

1. When I right click on the new script file in the new window, I do not have an "Edit Script" button. AutoIt and SciTE were both installed via the executable download (v3.0.1.15J for AutoIt and SciTE). I do have an "Open With", "SciTe.exe" button.

2. After renaming the script to First Script.au3, I opened the script with SciTe and continued. I got to the point where it erased the default data and the tutorial began entering a script automatically, but it stopped on the first line. I have been unable to continue from that point. I erased the file and folder and started over, but the script gets stuck at the point where the main GUI says "You should see a new AutoIt folder, open her up". The next message box does not pop up and the "Next" button does nothing. Keep in mind that I already went past this point on the first run. Also, the icon is still in the system tray.

If I get time in the morning, I try to find out why it is getting stuck and let you know.

Phillip

Thank you VERY much, I'll attend to your suggestions tomorrow, but:

3. In the instruction to "Finally name it: First Script", add the .AU3 extension.

I actually thought about that and sometimes, if I recall correctly, it ends up 'First Script.au3.au3'

I will definitely change 'Open her up' to something like 'Open the folder', or did you mean add the file creating instructions in that same thing also?

1st bug: I think I'll make a little mini-tutorial that shows how to properly install AutoIt so it gives that option.

2nd bug: I didn't finish it :) It's supposed to enter only one line. If you look in the tutorials directory it shows the script.

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him." - Mark TwainPatient: "It hurts when I do $var_"Doctor: "Don't do $var_" - Lar.

nice work, this could help people when first learning alot

also found some bugs, iono if its just me or wat

1. the "next","previous" and GUI event close buttons dont work for me and they do nothing, nor does the "back to main" button, and the only way the script progresses forward is by clicking begin, not sure if thats ur intention

edit.. script.au3.au3 ... that will depend if u have "show file exentions" in control panel, folder options =)

edit2: retract previous bug statement ... change that to :) >>

After the countdown , 5,4,3,2,1 ... GUI event close button doesnt work, and the "begin" button performs the same action as the "next" button, just checked ur script and its supposed to be like that =), and the "previous" button doesnt work

but i recomend NOT having the "begin" button perform the same as the "next" button

Edited by burrup

qq

2nd bug: I didn't finish it :)  It's supposed to enter only one line.  If you look in the tutorials directory it shows the script.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Insolence,

I'm sorry, you were very clear that it's a work in progress (one that will be well recieved by new comers). I just "thought" it was going to do a little more as the script continued to run (but that's cool).

However, subsequent runs would not go a far as the first run. The reason is because of the following section of code in Basics.au3:

While WinActive( "AutoIt" ) = 0
  Sleep(1000)
 WEnd

The actual title of the opened Explorer window that this loop is looking for begins with the path, and since WinTitleMatchMode is not set in the script, the window is never identified as active. The first time I ran the script, I must have had the AutoIt help file open and that satisfied the loop. Obviously, WinTitleMatchMode should be set to 2, at least at this point.

Phillip

Thanks guys.

I never used Notepad with AutoIt, really, but if you say so I suppose I could use that instead :)

As for the buttons not working, they aren't supposed to. I'll get a lot of work done on that today.

Latest:

Kinda finished the basics tutorial, not sure it's all that great. Rushed on it quite a bit.

TutorIt.zip

I think this needs a bump :)