Future AutoIt Versions

I'm using AutoIt for 5 years now and compared to scripting languages there's

currently nothing that compares with its ease os use and it flexibilty.

Almost any problem could be solved and more than once I wrote

complete tools and even medium sized software solutions for customers.

Most of them way beyond anything I initially thought AutoIt could do.

I wonder if the sourcecode protection issue might be solved in the future.

Up 'til now, no Exe Protecor I know of is capable of protecting AutoIt.

Sadly, because that would make it very easy to write some commercial

software.

And although the creators want AutoIt to remain free, I wonder if it would

help them if an additional licensed version would bring some money in.

I don't know many tools with such high efficency.

I'm using it almost every day. It's simply one of the best tools available.

The other thing I miss is a more integrated development tool with debugging,

a fully integrated Koda Form and so on... well a RAD IDE.

And I wonder if there's even a possibility to have a real autoit compiler someday?

Thanks

Kristo

Cheap, Fast, Good - Choose any two

AutoIt = Very good :D

Sourcecode protection = miserable :P

Compatibility to PE Lock and others = none ;)

developers want some money = unknown :D

Real RAD IDE = missing :D (maybe money could help) ?

Possibilty for real Auto compiler = unknown ;)

Any comments ?

Kristo

Cheap, Fast, Good - Choose any two

AutoIt = Very good :D

Source code protection = miserable :P

Compatibility to PE Lock and others = none ;)

developers want some money = unknown :D

Real RAD IDE = missing :D (maybe money could help) ?

Possibility for real Auto compiler = unknown ;)

Any comments ?

Kristo

Source code protection - If you have the correct tool, any EXE can be decompiled.

Compatibility to PE Lock and others - AutoIt is a windows application. It is not designed for other stuff.

developers want some money - I would not go there. let that one drop...

Real RAD IDE - Could you build it and share it?

Possibilty for real Auto compiler - It already has one. it is the default one you use now. If something is wrong with it, then speak up. If you are complaining that folks can decompile your code, then see my comment on Source code protection.

Edited by Volly

Source code protection - If you have the correct tool, any EXE can be decompiled.

Not really fair to compare the decompilation results of an autoit app with the result of a decompilations of for example a C++ app. Autoit Decompile= Exact source, C++ decompile, optimized assembly code.

Possibilty for real Auto compiler - It already has one. it is the default one you use now. If something is wrong with it, then speak up. If you are complaining that folks can decompile your code, then see my comment on Source code protection.

With real compile he means that the scripts are transformed into machine code. Not something anyone should even hope for since it basicly means rewriting the language.

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!

I wonder if the sourcecode protection issue might be solved in the future.

Up 'til now, no Exe Protecor I know of is capable of protecting AutoIt.

Sadly, because that would make it very easy to write some commercial

software.

Every single one of those tools can be cracked. Then the source code is laid bare once again. It is pointless trying to create compatibility with tools when we don't have our own problems fixed yet.

And although the creators want AutoIt to remain free, I wonder if it would

help them if an additional licensed version would bring some money in.

Yes. That's just what we want to do, maintain two separate versions of the program when we don't even have enough time to work on one version.

Why? What a colossal waste of time that would be to develop. I have no trouble achieving rapid development with SciTE and Koda running simultaneously. As for debugging? To this day I still have never had a need for anything more than a few message boxes or console traces. If you have a dire need for a debugger then I assert that your code is too complex to begin with.

And I wonder if there's even a possibility to have a real autoit compiler someday?

I wonder if there's a possibility people will shut up and keep their thoughts to themselves instead of opining on the same thing time and time again. Believe it or not, we aren't (total) idiots and don't really need people saying "boy I sure wish this feature existed" all the bloody time.

In the German forum there were some guys working on it, but they are students and have not much time to keep it up. (They hope to have a working beta in summer.) Do not expect too much. Maybe the project will be abandoned like the one statret by Kip. Edited by ProgAndy

*GERMAN* [note: you are not allowed to remove author / modified info from my UDFs]My UDFs:[_SetImageBinaryToCtrl] [_TaskDialog] [AutoItObject] [Animated GIF (GDI+)] [ClipPut for Image] [FreeImage] [GDI32 UDFs] [GDIPlus Progressbar] [Hotkey-Selector] [Multiline Inputbox] [MySQL without ODBC] [RichEdit UDFs] [SpeechAPI Example] [WinHTTP]UDFs included in AutoIt: FTP_Ex (as FTPEx), _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes

Compatibility to PE Lock and others - AutoIt is a windows application. It is not designed for other stuff.

developers want some money - I would not go there. let that one drop...

Real RAD IDE - Could you build it and share it?

You try to compare free Autoit maded/maintained by only few people in their free time with full-fledged languages maded/maintained by BIG companies. I think Autoit has its limitations and you must live them or choose another language which will better suits for some your projects where Autoit's limitations are big problem.

Consider language, many UDFs, tools (Scite4Autoit3,Koda,...) are maded/maintaned only by few voluntiers risen from common Autoit's users mostly.

So tell them BIG THANKS and join to this community and help too :-)

EDIT: Oups, this was supposed to kristo and his post #4, not to Volly

Edited by Zedna

You try to compare free Autoit maded/maintained by only few people in their free time with full-fledged languages maded/maintained by BIG companies.

There are never 10000 peoples working on one language. It's always a team of developers and no more. And it's always coming to a one man at the end (much like as it is at the beginning).

AutoIt's freeness is no argument.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

We are not paid to do this. We have lives outside AutoIt. We don't get to put in 40+ hour weeks developing this language. I average maybe an hour a day for a good (7 day) week but it's often less than that. So while you're right in that no language has a huge team behind them, many of the widely used languages do have one or more people who are paid to do nothing but work on the language.

@kristo

If Scite is not doing it for you, have a look at http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21834 and http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79950. There are many many other efforts to improve the language in the Example Scripts section.

If a company wants to pump some money into it that's great but everyone should benefit, it should be done for the greater good of the language and not just to satisfy a companies needs.

Post your code because code says more then your words can. SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y. Use Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)[topic="84960"]Brett F's Learning To Script with AutoIt V3[/topic][topic="21048"]Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session[/topic]Contribution: [topic="87994"]Get SVN Rev Number[/topic], [topic="93527"]Control Handle under mouse[/topic], [topic="91966"]A Presentation using AutoIt[/topic], [topic="112756"]Log ConsoleWrite output in Scite[/topic]

Scite + Koda = all I need

I have installed that nice-looking autoit debugger, but I've never had to use it

And the development of the tools and language seems to go pretty smooth, I'm only a little worried about switching to win7 64-bit (when the RTM is out)