Nibbles

This is my remake of the 1990's game Nibbles.

Note that this is still a work in progress but since I haven't had much time to work on it lately I figured I would post it here and see if you guys have any suggestions or comments.

GameModes:

Normal - Original game concept with objectives that give points.

Survival - Snakes continue to grow. Last snake alive wins the round.

Tag - Players start with number of tags to give. If tagged, player losses a tag. Players don't die until tags run out.

Levels:

There is now a level editor included in the game which easily allows you to add new levels and edit old ones. If you right click a level file (ex. 6.nib) and open it with nibbles.exe, the map will automatically be loaded into the level editor. You can also get into the editor inside the game first, and then load a level.

Levels 1-10 from the original nibbles game are now included.

Network Play:

Currently network play is working (for Normal and Survival gamemodes) but is still a big work in progress. While it works as is, client computers seem to be a bit jumpy. This is because of network latency's and all network games have this issue. Many games compensate for it using interpolation (which in essence, is guessing where a player will be between the updates in position). I still need to come up with a way to do this or another method of doing it to make the clients experience seem fluid.

Known Issues:

• In tag gamemode, players can move offscreen.
  • Player can turn 180 degrees in one move, causing them to hit themselves and die.

To Do:

• Fix issues.
  • 'Smooth out' Client in Lan Play.
  • Show player name and direction as match begins. (just to make startings a bit less confusing)
  • Add additional gamemodes (possibly teamplay)
  • Add levels.
  • Add sound effects.

Help: (If you want to help me with this project, these are the things I could use help on.)

• Creation of Levels. (it would be cool to release this game with like 100 levels or more.)
  • Creation of custom sound effects for the game.
  • Ideas for things that would be good to add to the game, or changes to things now.
  • Help with fixing lag issues on Client computers. (this is a bit over-my-head.)
  • Help with making the menus more modern (make it look like a real game:D)

Yashied - Hotkeys Input Control UDF

Kip - TCP UDF (although I still haven't completed Lan Play)

Thank you guys for these wonderful UDF's.

Corgano - For the level editor, what a great addition to the game. Thanks!

Heres the Game:

nibbles.zip

Sorry the code is a bit messy.

Please let me know if you have any comments/suggestions, they are greatly appreciated.

Also let me know if you wish to help in anyway.

Thanks for your time,

Disabled Monkey

Edited by DisabledMonkey

Well done DisabledMonkey!

Good implementation!

Network not tested.

Btw, a lot of variables are not declared (warnings)!

Sound will give a better atmosphere but this is already on your ToDo list :D

The colors could be better selected.

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Well done DisabledMonkey!

Good implementation!

Network not tested.

Btw, a lot of variables are not declared (warnings)!

Sound will give a better atmosphere but this is already on your ToDo list :D

The colors could be better selected.

UEZ

Thanks for your reply. I must say that it was your Autoiteroids that partially inspired me to remake this game.

Yeah, I'm bad with declaring variables because I'm too lazy to.

The colors are the way they are because they match the original games (that was what I was going for), but I do agree that different colors would be better. Perhaps I should add Options to change that in game. If you have an idea of colors that would work better let me know.

Thanks,

Disabled Monkey

Edited by DisabledMonkey

Thanks for your reply. I must say that it was your Autoiteroids that partially inspired me to remake this game.

Yeah, I'm bad with declaring variables because I'm too lazy to.

The colors are the way they are because they match the original games (that was what I was going for), but I do agree that different colors would be better. Perhaps I should add Options to change that in game. If you have an idea of colors that would work better let me know.

Thanks,

Disabled Monkey

Yes, the colors in the original game (I saw only a screenshot) were not selected very well!

UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Cool. it needs a single player AI.

I would like to make a level editor, if no one beats me to it. Very good job

0x616e2069646561206973206c696b652061206d616e20776974686f7574206120626f64792c20746f206669676874206f6e6520697320746f206e657665722077696e2e2e2e2e

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Level editor would be awesome corgano, Good Luck!

Andreik, where did you get the recursion error, and is it something that is happening everytime you play the game or just occasionally or what?

Thanks for your time,

Disabled Monkey

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Level editor would be awesome corgano, Good Luck!

Andreik, where did you get the recursion error, and is it something that is happening everytime you play the game or just occasionally or what?

Thanks for your time,

Disabled Monkey

I went about makeing a level editor, but I noticed something. Your script generates the size of the playing feild off of the moniters res, witch means that if you were to make maps on your computer and give them to someones celses computer and they have a different res, your map will be very messed up. To fix this, I suggest haveing a standard sise of map (like 100 by 70) and have it just streach the playing field instead of makeing the playing feild bigger on bigger resulitions. after you fix this I should be able to make a fully functional map editor.

Your program is like a program that displays a window half the screen wide, but makes it 512 wide instead of (@desktopwidth / 2) wide. The first is right, but will only work on a screen 1024 wide. The second will work on any screen

Edited by corgano

0x616e2069646561206973206c696b652061206d616e20776974686f7574206120626f64792c20746f206669676874206f6e6520697320746f206e657665722077696e2e2e2e2e

I went about makeing a level editor, but I noticed something. Your script generates the size of the playing feild off of the moniters res, witch means that if you were to make maps on your computer and give them to someones celses computer and they have a different res, your map will be very messed up. To fix this, I suggest haveing a standard sise of map (like 100 by 70) and have it just streach the playing field instead of makeing the playing feild bigger on bigger resulitions. after you fix this I should be able to make a fully functional map editor.

Your program is like a program that displays a window half the screen wide, but makes it 512 wide instead of (@desktopwidth / 2) wide. The first is right, but will only work on a screen 1024 wide. The second will work on any screen

Thanks for your reply,

I know that my game uses the resolution to create the playing field and this is one thing i started with, have thought about changing numerous times, and never gotten around to doing.

One thing you might note is that my levels are actually created by percent of resolution and not the resolution itself.

Ex.

25:50|75:50

This would draw a line from a point (25% width of screen,50% height of screen) to a point (75% width of screen,50% height of screen).

Since it just stores lines in the level file, if you could somehow calculate what percent a line goes to, to another percent, you could make a fully functional map editor with my current setup.

Although it probably would be best for me to just make the game have a virtual grid instead of the current method.

Thanks,

Disabled Monkey

• 1 month later...

Hey,

After weeks of not working on this much I finally got around to adding to it.

The updated version can be found in the first post.

The update includes:

• A new level editor, created by Corgano.
  • New levels (1-10 from the original game are now included)
  • Semi-functional multiplayer (You can start a game and actually play over a network; still issues with speed and glitches on the client side)

As always, if you wish to help or have suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks for your time,

Disabled Monkey