Autoit and Remote Desktop

I am running an autoit script on a desktop computer and every now and then it becomes necessary for me to log on to that computer remotely to fix any hangs, or update the script. When using remote desktop, I can log on to the local computer and change/start/stop the program from running, but when I end the session on the REMOTE computer, the local computer logs off the user (locks the computer) which seems to pause the script from running. It is then necessary for me to manually log back on to the desktop local computer to make the script run. Is there any way around this? If this is the wrong place to post this question, feel free to direct me somewhere more appropriate.

Thanks

Not sure if this will do it. I use VNC mostly... but... be sure you remote in as "console"...

from XP run:

MSTSC.EXE /admin

from 2003 run:

MSTSC.EXE /console

This will get you in as Session 0... the console... and Not just a terminal services session.

Lar.

f_mrcleansmalm_77ce002.jpgAutoIt has helped make me wealthy

I am running an autoit script on a desktop computer and every now and then ...

Does this mean that sometimes it runs fine - thru all lines of codes without your help? If that is true - then the info in the FAQ about running scripts on a locked computer might not help:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37289

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

Not sure if this will do it. I use VNC mostly... but... be sure you remote in as "console"...

from XP run:

MSTSC.EXE /admin

from 2003 run:

MSTSC.EXE /console

This will get you in as Session 0... the console... and Not just a terminal services session.

Lar.

Did this, running XP on both comps, made no difference. Also doesn't seem to matter whether I do a full log out of RD or just disconnect. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with how I'm logging in to the local with the remote, more that the Remote connection program automatically locks any user out of the local computer when it is being used remotely, and I can't find any options allowing me to bypass this.

"Does this mean that sometimes it runs fine - thru all lines of codes without your help? If that is true - then the info in the FAQ about running scripts on a locked computer might not help:"

Yes, the script will execute perfectly if I start it manually at the local desktop, or if I remote in and leave it running in-session on the remote. Sometimes my isp goes down and I have to get things rolling again...Its when I log off the remote that it stays locked out on the local until I manually log in. Remote desktop claims that it will "leave all of your programs running" but the script definitely stops running on the local the moment I disconnect from remote...and will not start again unless I stay logged in on remote or manually relog on local.

Edited by David422

"Does this mean that sometimes it runs fine - thru all lines of codes without your help? If that is true - then the info in the FAQ about running scripts on a locked computer might not help:"

Yes, the script will execute perfectly if I start it manually at the local desktop, or if I remote in and leave it running in-session on the remote....

Sorry, I meant to ask - does your script run fine while the computer is locked. From what you said, I think that the answer is no. Look at the FAQ for which AutoIt functions to avoid.

Edit: Specifically, this FAQ:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...st&p=571221

Edited by herewasplato

Sorry, I meant to ask - does your script run fine while the computer is locked. From what you said, I think that the answer is no. Look at the FAQ for which AutoIt functions to avoid.

Edit: Specifically, this FAQ:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...st&p=571221

Permission to PM you plato? The script is navigating internet explorer pages. I don't see alternatives to _IENavigate and _IELoadWait that will run on a locked computer...do you know if these will still work when locked? Do I have to WinActivate the IE window before they will run after locking?

Edited by David422

Sure you can PM me - but it would be a waste of electrons.

I know very little about the _IE UDFs.

Glancing at the code for _IENavigate and _IELoadWait, I see nothing that would keep it from working on a locked computer... but Dale would know better. Let's see if he will stop by this thread.

I will only comment on the _IE functions...

_IENavigate really only "does" one thing... $oIE.navigate("url")

_IELoadWait does not "do" anything... it simply checks the readyState property on a series of object and maintains control until the appropriate conditions are met.

I would check into what the webpage is doing when it navigates to new locations (popups, activeX controls, Java applets etc).

Perhaps running the browser invisible would help? Perhaps not... _IEAction invisible

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Thanks Dale.

David422,

Do you have a simple script that reproduces the problem. If not, maybe you can run your script when you are close to the locked computer. That way you can place Beeps or use SoundPlay at various point throughout your code to listen to where it hangs.