Explorer 'Not responding'

I have been using AutoIT for quite some time and up until last work I have had very little operating related system issues with the software.

It has always worked on my system with McAfee Total Protection Installed [been using the same suite since it was released at least 2 years] with automatic signature and system updates as and when they are published [regular event]. In addition I have always keep my Windows system up to date with the latest patches and updates.

About five days ago this all turned upside down. The major symptom being that Windows Explorer simply stopped working as expected continually giving the 'Not responding message' and mouse over hover functionality not always working.

I have been working on it daily trying to establish the point of failure and given that it appears not to be a documented issue with other AutoIT or Microsoft users and so as not to upset my main desktop I purchased a new HDD and created a new Operating system and Desktop Environment:

To establish the point of failure I went through the following process:

Starting with

Installed Vista [Manufacturers Disc - Latest Publication Incuded SP1];

Installed AutoIT performed some testing every thing worked ok as expected;

Installed the first set of Microsoft upgrades performed some testing [running script, compiling, launching *.exe ] everthing worked 0k

Continue with this process check AutoIT functionality [running script, compiling, launching *.exe] at each step until Vista was uptodate with all upgrades, hotfix's and security patches as at 3am this morning.

In summary at every step of establish the point of failure with this new system I was running

AutoIT 3.3.0

Script version compiler 2.0.0.1

SciTe Version 1.78

Editor works fine

Compiler works fine

Script will run

Compiled .exe program will run

The system is now running Windows Explorer 8 and Vista SP2 and AutoIT without any issues.

I have also installed Office 2003 plus its upgrades, Apple Safari, QuickTime Player, iTunes and MobileMe Control Panel

and none of these applications has resulted in AutoIT processing failing.

THEN

New installation McAfee Security Suite [Firewall, AntiVirus, Malware, Privacy] 'Branded McAfee Total Protection'

Then immediately experienced exactly the same problems that started 5 days ago with my main desktop.

It should be noted that on this occasion the following problems were experienced only with AutoIT Folders and Files

- Click on folder I created for script files and on many occasions got the Windows Explorer 'Not responding message'

- With the folder open *.ini files did not have the associated icon

- With folder open *.txt files did not have the associated icon

- With folder open ).exe files did not have the associated icon

- A mouse over hover produced no file information

- The task manager would not start on every occasion

- The desktop then disappeared and then it appeared that Windows restarted

- If you launched the compiled script *.exe nothing would happened it would appear in the Task Manager - Processes

but not consuming any CPU [my guess was that it had hung].

- The script launched in SciTec ran without any issues.

- Ran Microsoft Defender no issues detected

- Ran McAfee virus scan nothing found

Dismounted McAfee PROBLEM RESOLVED.

Now running without McAfee is not my preferred position so I am looking for help as to how this problem can be resolved [i have exhausted my resources] as it might take some discussion to occur between AutoIT and McAfee as to what has happened that has turned a stable system around to being what is at the moment unworkable.

Happy to answer any questions or perform any testing to further focus on what might be the problem.

Assistance is always appreciated Ant..

Progress:

I have been able to establish with testing that with McAfee installed compile AutoIT scripts will only run if the Virus protection is turned off. The solution and perhaps someone knows the answer is how do you get your compiled script added to the Trusted Program List in McAfee. And I guess another important question is why did the system suddenly stop compiled scripts working with Virus protection turned on?

Ant..

Progress:

I have been able to establish with testing that with McAfee installed compile AutoIT scripts will only run if the Virus protection is turned off. The solution and perhaps someone knows the answer is how do you get your compiled script added to the Trusted Program List in McAfee. And I guess another important question is why did the system suddenly stop compiled scripts working with Virus protection turned on?

Ant..

McAfee may detect the compiled scripts as harmful and prevent them from running due to the fact they are packed with UPX. Many virus and malware programs are packed using UPX.

I just downloaded the latest version of McAfee Total Protection and performed a scan on a number of compiled AutoIT programs, none of which were detected as threats. (DAT version 5667)

As a work-around, you can add the compiled AutoIT program to the 'Trusted Items' list in McAfee VirusScan. Do a scan and ensure your compiles AutoIT programs are detected, then in the scan results, you can add each as a trusted program.

You should also submit the false positive information to McAfee, as this is the only way problems like this get resolved:

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx...26actp%3Dsearch

McAfee may detect the compiled scripts as harmful and prevent them from running due to the fact they are packed with UPX. Many virus and malware programs are packed using UPX.

I just downloaded the latest version of McAfee Total Protection and performed a scan on a number of compiled AutoIT programs, none of which were detected as threats. (DAT version 5667)

As a work-around, you can add the compiled AutoIT program to the 'Trusted Items' list in McAfee VirusScan. Do a scan and ensure your compiles AutoIT programs are detected, then in the scan results, you can add each as a trusted program.

You should also submit the false positive information to McAfee, as this is the only way problems like this get resolved:

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx...26actp%3Dsearch

Thanks for the reply

I had a McAfee Tech on the system for about 2 hours the other day they experienced the behaviour but were unable to identify or resolve Explorers hanging behaviour.

The McAfee Tech also ran a virus scan and found nothing.

The AutoIT Script was not being quaranteened by McAfee so it could not be added ot the Trusted List. To get my system back and workable I have dismounted McAfee and installed Onecare [Microsoft] ran a scan and nothing was found.

Both AutoIT Scripts and Compile Scripts were not scanned and reported as a virus malware or the like. With McAfee dismounted everything now works normally. Microsoft offer 90 day free trial of the antivirus so I am going to stick with that for the 90 days then re-install the McAfee software with the then version to determine if the issue has been resolved.

I would assume that if McAfee was working properly and it determined that a compiled AutoIT script was potentially a virus then it would quarantee the file. If that is what it is surposed to do then it failed in that task which would lead me to beleive that they have a problem.

Another uber failure of McAfee. It really is among the worst security suites. I urge you to reconsider, there are better options. You may have 3 months free usage, but damn, free isn't good enough, they should pay you to keep it installed.

Another uber failure of McAfee. It really is among the worst security suites. I urge you to reconsider, there are better options. You may have 3 months free usage, but damn, free isn't good enough, they should pay you to keep it installed.

I can't say I agree. I've used McAfee and AutoIT for years on lots of different OS's (including Vista SP2) and have never had any issues.

This sounds like an environment specific issue in my opinion.

Also, this forum probably isnt the correct place for this discussion, maybe you should try posting your message on the McAfee help forum?

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php

Edited by jbc1

I can't say I agree. I've used McAfee and AutoIT for years on lots of different OS's (including Vista SP2) and have never had any issues.

This sounds like an environment specific issue in my opinion.

Also, this forum probably isnt the correct place for this discussion, maybe you should try posting your message on the McAfee help forum?

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php

I really appreciate the response. In summary I posted on the McAfee forum which lead me to have a McAfee tech on the system who could not resolve. Not sure about it being an environment issue because I purchased a New HDD and installed Vista from scratch checking that the script worked at each stage involving a Microsoft update up to and including SP2 and Windows 8 as soon as I installed McAfee the issue appeared. I was under the impression that the McAfee software would quarantene what it considered to be a virus [AutoIT Script] and then allow you to change it to a Trusted Program. This simply does not happen. I have come to the conclusion that it is a McAfee issue in that their software does not function correctly [suddenly and for what ever reason] I have changed nothing to the environment other than to take the Microsoft upgrades etc. I was simply going to let it go for 3 months then re-install it and test if there has been a problem identified and fixed. Liveone and McAfee do not identify Virus or Malware. No other program causes the same symptom. Everything works as it should. If it was the environment one would expect a point of failure from some other process. I dont expect McAfee to put its hand up when things dont quite work as they should a silent fix is acceptable so I have simply sat back and am waiting for some other wretch to apply to have to step up to the plate. I am getting to like my MacMini better than MS but thats another story. Ant..

I really appreciate the response. In summary I posted on the McAfee forum which lead me to have a McAfee tech on the system who could not resolve. Not sure about it being an environment issue because I purchased a New HDD and installed Vista from scratch checking that the script worked at each stage involving a Microsoft update up to and including SP2 and Windows 8 as soon as I installed McAfee the issue appeared. I was under the impression that the McAfee software would quarantene what it considered to be a virus [AutoIT Script] and then allow you to change it to a Trusted Program. This simply does not happen. I have come to the conclusion that it is a McAfee issue in that their software does not function correctly [suddenly and for what ever reason] I have changed nothing to the environment other than to take the Microsoft upgrades etc. I was simply going to let it go for 3 months then re-install it and test if there has been a problem identified and fixed. Liveone and McAfee do not identify Virus or Malware. No other program causes the same symptom. Everything works as it should. If it was the environment one would expect a point of failure from some other process. I dont expect McAfee to put its hand up when things dont quite work as they should a silent fix is acceptable so I have simply sat back and am waiting for some other wretch to apply to have to step up to the plate. I am getting to like my MacMini better than MS but thats another story. Ant..

Edit

Just taken an McAfee upgrade on an XP Media Centre Box which has stopped a long running Script from launching symptoms similar to the Vista box. File is not quarantened problem resolved when McAfee dismounted. Hummmmmmm.....