WideWare Stock Tracker

Hi all,

I've been working on this for a while now so I thought I'd put it out there. I've now put the source code here for those who'd be interested.

Anyway, the application is a stock tracker written in AutoIt3 using GDI+ to display the stock information. It uses the Yahoo! finance API to retrieve the stock prices etc. and it updates the stocks every five minutes. The coding that took the most time was making the UI completely customizable. The size of the UI and all the fonts and colours can be changed in the options dialog.

Feel free to pass comments as you see fit. It would be great to get some feedback but I know some people just won't run it :)

The application can be downloaded from here

WBD

Edited by WideBoyDixon

Whoooops!! Totally forgot to mention that I owe a big thanks to Yashied for using his excellent ColorPicker UDF library.

WBD

Hi WBD

You're certainly a well respected and trusted member of this forum and I have no problem running an exe that you would provide.

Couple of ideas for your consideration

1a) could you improve how a stock is chosen. For example ABY is Abitibi Consolidated but it apparently is also AKTIEBOLAGET SVEN. One should be able to choose a certain stock over another if there are two.

1b) Any way to pick the exchange? Say the Toronto exchange over the NY

2 Wondering if you could add a bit more to the resizing.

2a) Such thinks as truncating the text if the resized box is too small to display text.

2b) resize by ratio. So the height and sides are resized at the same ratio, instead of one than the other. Alternatively could have set sizes large, medium, small, extra small.

Pretty neat little widget though. Certainly rivals anything else out there.

Congratulations.

Is there any function or API for AutoIt to interface with the Yahoo Finance API?

I mean, I am familiar that there are REST calls, but I don't know enough about how that stuff works. All I would be looking for would be historical prices given the name of a stock and the date: open, close, high, low. I know Yahoo records these, but I don't know how to pull them using their REST API even after having looked at the documentation here: http://developer.yahoo.com/dotnet/howto-rest_vb.html

I guess it's because they don't explain how you pass arguments for what you want to pull (historical price, market cap, shares outstanding, etc.).

Well done WBD

Question: What is the refresh time? It would be handy if the refresh time would be available in Options

GreenCan

Contributions

CheckUpdate - SelfUpdating script ------- Self updating script

Dynamic input validation ------------------- Use a Input masks can make your life easier and Validation can be as simple

MsgBox with CountDown ------------------- MsgBox with visual countdown

Display Multiline text cells in ListView ---- Example of pop-up or ToolTip for multiline text items in ListView

Presentation Manager ---------------------- Program to display and refresh different Border-less GUI's on a Display (large screen TV)

USB Drive Tools ------------------------------ Tool to help you with your USB drive management

Input Period udf ------------------------------ GUI for a period input

Excel ColorPicker ---------------------------- Color pickup tool will allow you to select a color from the standard Excel color palette

Excel Chart UDF ----------------------------- Collaboration project with water 

GetDateInString ------------------------------ Find date/time in a string using a date format notation like DD Mon YYYY hh:mm

TaskListAllDetailed --------------------------- List All Scheduled Tasks

Computer Info --------------------------------- A collection of information for helpdesk

Shared memory Demo ----------------------- Demo: Two applications communicate with each other through means of a memory share (using Nomad function, 32bit only)

Universal Date Format Conversion -------- Universal date converter from your PC local date format to any format

Disable Windows DetailsPane -------------- Disable Windows Explorer Details Pane

Oracle SQL Report Generator -------------  Oracle Report generator using SQL

SQLite Report Generator -------------------  SQLite Report generator using SQL

SQLite ListView and BLOB demo ---------- Demo: shows how binary (image) objects can be recognized natively in a database BLOB field

DSN-Less Database connection demo --- Demo: ActiveX Data Objects DSN-Less Database access

Animated animals ----------------------------- Fun: Moving animated objects

Perforated image in GUI --------------------- Fun: Perforate your image with image objects

UEZ's Perforator major update ------------- Fun: Pro version of Perforator by UEZ

Visual Crop Tool (GUI) ----------------------- Easy to use Visual Image Crop tool

Visual Image effect (GUI) -------------------- Visually apply effects on an image

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll be working on improving this over the coming weeks. I'm looking to do the following:

[1] Make it easier to add stock symbols hopefully something like http://www.google.com/finance

[2] Clean up the memory leaks that I found today!

[3] Consider some global resizing (as per picea892's suggestion)

[4] Allow configuration of the refresh interval (currently 5 minutes)

In addition, I'll be looking at incorporating some kind of software protection (possibly home grown) but I'm not certain how to do this just yet.

As for the API, I'm just downloading a CSV with the appropriate information based on documentation that I found through Google. See, for example, here: http://www.gummy-stuff.org/Yahoo-data.htm

Regards,

WBD

[2] and [4] have been done. The link in the first post has been updated.

WBD

• 3 weeks later...

I'm being kept busy on other projects so I don't have time to polish this in to a releasable state. As such, I'm making the source code available. See the first post for the link to a ZIP which contains the code. It would be great if someone can think of a better way to add stock symbols in to the application.

WBD

• 4 years later...

Welcome to AutoIt and the forum!

The last post on this thread is 3 1/2 years old and the OP has been offline since July 2011.

So I wouldn't expect too much help :ermm:

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 1 year later...

Same exact answer as the one above yours roccos34, except now the thread is nearly 6 years old, and the OP hasn't been here in nearly 4 years.

Guess you'll have to modify it yourself or hope someone comes along.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator