Is this possible?

hey guys i recently bought a new computer, it had vista, ive swapped back to XP, and i was wondering if i could remap one of the keys that worked in Vista that controlled my CD drive

all that i know is that the computer actually does something when the button is pressed so that must mean it can be remapped to a particular function / script

what i want to do is, when the button is pressed it checks to see if the drive is closed, thats easy, it then runs a script to open it, and if the button is pressed again while its open i want another script to run that will close the drive, that will return the button to the pre-reformat function

note: said keyboard is an enhanced multimedia keyboard from HP

thanks guys

-Frosty

Edited by snowman533

Intermediate AutoIt/Autohotkey User

hey guys i recently bought a new computer, it had vista, ive swapped back to XP, and i was wondering if i could remap one of the keys that worked in Vista that controlled my CD drive

all that i know is that the computer actually does something when the button is pressed so that must mean it can be remapped to a particular function / script

what i want to do is, when the button is pressed it checks to see if the drive is closed, thats easy, it then runs a script to open it, and if the button is pressed again while its open i want another script to run that will close the drive, that will return the button to the pre-reformat function

note: said keyboard is an enhanced multimedia keyboard from HP

thanks guys

-Frosty

Its possible but is it a normal key, or a keyboard specific key(special media key). You may be able to do this using the _WinAPI_SetWindowsHookEx() example by changing around some code to act on the specific key your pressing. hope this helps

[center][/center][center]=][u][/u][/center][center][/center]

Before you do anything make sure to install the proper XP drivers for that keyboard. They should include the key-mapping software. This may be the one you have

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3454483&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

srry i forgot to mention, the driver for my keyboard is Vista only, thats why im looking to remap the key

srry i forgot to mention, the link i gave you includes the xp drivers.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

srry i forgot to mention, the link i gave you includes the xp drivers.

srry forgot to mention in above message, the link u gave me contains drivers for the wrong keyboard, i have a different one

my keyboard came with a HP Pavilion a6720a

the only software/drivers available from HP for XP is Lightscribe, no drivers are available there, there must be a way to get it but everywhere i have looked sofar was vista only, even searched google for like 8 hrs

Edited by snowman533

If I may put in a little side note, driver or not, they keyboard should still send some sort of input to the pc in the form of a number that will always identify the key. You can capture these inputs using th emethod i described above. Correct me if I am wrong, but i believe all the driver does is translate the number input for the keypress into an action.... exatly what he wants to do with autoit software....

[center][/center][center]=][u][/u][/center][center][/center]

srry forgot to mention in above message, the link u gave me contains drivers for the wrong keyboard, i have a different one

the only software/drivers available from HP for XP is Lightscribe, no drivers are available there, there must be a way to get it but everywhere i have looked sofar was vista only, even searched google for like 8 hrs

From what I've been able to find out it's the same drivers as I linked to.

George

ok its now confirmed, that driver u linked to is incorrect, it doesnt do anything for my keyboard, like i was trying to tell u it was the WRONG KEYBOARD, i quote myself here

the link u gave me contains drivers for the wrong keyboard, i have a different one

and when i launched the control panel for that driver it said HP Wireless Deluxe Desktop Combo not detected

and like i was trying to say, i dont have that keyboard, and this confirms it (why people dont listen?)

heres the link from HP so u know what i mean:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?os=228&softwareitem=pv-28739-14&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=au&lang=en&product=3830454

thats the direct link to the Windows XP downloads page for my computer

so now that its clear that i cannot get an XP driver for my keyboard, lets now bring the topic back to the original intention, and that was reprogramming the key(s)

You may be able to do this using the _WinAPI_SetWindowsHookEx()

ill have a look at that once i get over this massive headache lol, ill keep ya posted

Edited by snowman533