Compile no complete and au3check.exe and upx.exe freeze up

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post, if it is NOT please direct me to where I should post this.

I am very new to using AutoIT and the features and capability of this program is awesome.

Here are some stats for the computer I am running AutoIT on:

Win XP Pro Svc Pk 3

32 Bit version of Windows

3 GB Ram

LOTS AND LOTS of free hard disk space.

Used Ram between 750MB and 850MB out of 3 GB.

If you need more details please let me know what you require.

=================

I installed:

3.3.0.0 of AutoIT

SCITE version for AutoIT from the download page. Not the Full version of Scite but the AutoIT version.

AutoIT3Wrapper Gui to compile AutoIT3 Script (ver 2.0.0.0)

=========

When I compile or run au3 scripts from Scite the process just hangs and never completes. I look in task manager and upx.exe is stuck at 50% of CPU processing and Au3check.exe also is stuck. This is what I did.

In Scite I pressed CTRL+F7 to compile to EXE.

This --> AutoIT3Wrapper Gui to compile AutoIT3 Script (ver 2.0.0.0)

opens and I am given options to compile with.

UPX is checked by default and Production Ver 3.3.0.0 is chosen at top.

Output type selected is EXE

Also run u3check before compilation is enabled

I press Compile Script button and the compile process just hangs and never completes.

Checking task manager and upx.exe is hung at 50% of cpu processing

I kill the process and close scite then reopen and compile with UPX off.

Again the compilation never completes. Checking Taskmanager au3check.exe is stuck and using 50% of CPU.

I kill the au3check.exe and the go through the compile process again with that turned off.

Both UPX and Au3Check.exe disabled and the compilation process completes and a working EXE is created.

The EXE is a bit large I assume because it was not compressed.

If I just right click on a .au3 script and choose compile script from the popup menu an EXE is created but there is a delay

and when I double click to run the EXE I get an error "AutoIT error unable to open the script file".

I am not sure what is wrong but I uninstalled AutoIT and Scite then reinstalled and I keep getting the same errors and

hanging of Au3check.exe and UPX.exe if I try to use them and compilation can only be done from Scite with UPX and Au3Check disabled

from the compilation process.

I am totally new to AutoIT and have been able to create some nice automation scripts but I am not sure what I can do to make this

work properly.

Please let me know what I can do to help you diagnose this more or if there is another version I can download to make AutoIT work on

my computer.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

• Developers

Install AutoItwrapper using the installer if you want to make sure things are installed correctly. Just downloading AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI will not work.

There is no way we can figure out why it isn't working with the provided information.

I would need at least all output from the SciTE output pane when you press F7.

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I uninstalled AutoIT3 and Scite completely from the system. Then I reinstalled just with the autoit-v3-setup.exe file.

I opened a test au3 file and pressed ctrl-f7 and this is what it shows in the output pane.

>"C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\..\aut2exe\aut2exe.exe" /in "C:\Documents and Settings\Main.DESKTOP-PC\Desktop\date_timeTest.au3"

Ultimate Packer for eXecutables

Copyright © 1996 - 2008

UPX 3.03w Markus Oberhumer, Laszlo Molnar & John Reiser Apr 27th 2008

File size Ratio Format Name

-------------------- ------ ----------- -----------

612864 -> 290304 47.37% win32/pe date_timeTest.exe

Packed 1 file.

What happens is UPX.exe is running at 50% of CPU and using 3,636K of memory.

The EXE is created on the desktop but when ran a msgbox appears with "AutoIT error unable to open the script file".

What more do you need from me to help you diagnose this? I would like to use AutoIT.

Thanks.

The sample code below is what I am running in the au3 file above.

This code was taken from the forum sample code section. I just wanted to test date and time to see how to display it

and using the code below to learn how to make date and time display in the way I want. 12 hour instead of 24 hour time but

will get to that after the freezing and incomplete compiling is fixed.

$FullDateTime = _DateTimeConvertFormat('MM/DD/YYYY, [HH:MM:SS]')
MsgBox(64, "Date/Time Convert Results", $FullDateTime)

Func _DateTimeConvertFormat($sFormat)
    Local $Stamp = '<_>'
    While StringInStr($sFormat, $Stamp)
        $Stamp = '<' & Random(10000000,99999999,1) & '>'
    WEnd

StringReplace($sFormat, "y", "")
    Local $Year = StringRight(@YEAR, @extended)
    Local $Mounth = @MON
    Local $Day = @MDAY
    Local $Hours = @HOUR
    Local $Minutes = @MIN
    Local $Seconds = @SEC

$sFormat = StringRegExpReplace($sFormat, "(?i)(?:(d+|y+)(\W*)(mm)|(mm)(\W*)(d+|y+))", '\1\2' & $Stamp & '\5\6')
    If @extended Then $sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, $Stamp, $Mounth)
    $sFormat = StringRegExpReplace($sFormat, "(?i)(?:(d+|y+)(\W*)(m)|(m)(\W*)(d+|y+))", '\1\2' & $Stamp & '\5\6')
    If @extended Then $sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, $Stamp, $Mounth+0)

$sFormat = StringRegExpReplace($sFormat, '(?i)y+', $Year)

$sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, "mm",$Minutes)
    $sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, "m", $Minutes+0)

$sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, "dd",$Day)
    $sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, "d", $Day+0)

$sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, "hh",$Hours)
    $sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, "h", $Hours+0)

$sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, "ss",$Seconds)
    $sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, "s", $Seconds+0)

Return $sFormat
EndFunc

That is the ONLY thing in the au3 file. The file itself runs and the code does what it is suppose to but for some unknown reason I can't

get au3 files to convert to EXE standalone and I am confused as to why.

Thank you Jos for any help you can provide, I appreciate it.

The sample code below is what I am running in the au3 file above.

This code was taken from the forum sample code section. I just wanted to test date and time to see how to display it

and using the code below to learn how to make date and time display in the way I want. 12 hour instead of 24 hour time but

will get to that after the freezing and incomplete compiling is fixed.

$FullDateTime = _DateTimeConvertFormat('MM/DD/YYYY, [HH:MM:SS]')
MsgBox(64, "Date/Time Convert Results", $FullDateTime)

Func _DateTimeConvertFormat($sFormat)
    Local $Stamp = '<_>'
    While StringInStr($sFormat, $Stamp)
        $Stamp = '<' & Random(10000000,99999999,1) & '>'
    WEnd

StringReplace($sFormat, "y", "")
    Local $Year = StringRight(@YEAR, @extended)
    Local $Mounth = @MON
    Local $Day = @MDAY
    Local $Hours = @HOUR
    Local $Minutes = @MIN
    Local $Seconds = @SEC

$sFormat = StringRegExpReplace($sFormat, "(?i)(?:(d+|y+)(\W*)(mm)|(mm)(\W*)(d+|y+))", '\1\2' & $Stamp & '\5\6')
    If @extended Then $sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, $Stamp, $Mounth)
    $sFormat = StringRegExpReplace($sFormat, "(?i)(?:(d+|y+)(\W*)(m)|(m)(\W*)(d+|y+))", '\1\2' & $Stamp & '\5\6')
    If @extended Then $sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, $Stamp, $Mounth+0)

$sFormat = StringRegExpReplace($sFormat, '(?i)y+', $Year)

$sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, "mm",$Minutes)
    $sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, "m", $Minutes+0)

$sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, "dd",$Day)
    $sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, "d", $Day+0)

$sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, "hh",$Hours)
    $sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, "h", $Hours+0)

$sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, "ss",$Seconds)
    $sFormat = StringReplace($sFormat, "s", $Seconds+0)

Return $sFormat
EndFunc

That is the ONLY thing in the au3 file. The file itself runs and the code does what it is suppose to but for some unknown reason I can't

get au3 files to convert to EXE standalone and I am confused as to why.

Thank you Jos for any help you can provide, I appreciate it.

I looked in the Event Viewer and found this error:

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Application Popup

Event Category: None

Event ID: 26

Date: 7/12/2009

Time: 4:06:14 PM

User: N/A

Computer: DESKTOP-PC

Description:

Application popup: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem : C:\PROGRA~1\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\upx.exe

NTVDM has encountered a System Error

The handle is invalid.

Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

It looks like upx.exe is a 16 bit file and not 32.

I downloaded the UPX.exe from their website and the windows version download and replaced the upx.exe from the

autoIT install but I get the samething happening, upx.exe locking up and not quitting on it's own.

I am not sure what is going on.

I had a similar thing some time ago and it was my graphics card driver.

Read this #549221

Hello Chris,

Just in case you were correct I updated to the newest video driver.

I still get the same issue, updating the video driver had no effect on this issue.

Thank you.

Install AutoItwrapper using the installer if you want to make sure things are installed correctly. Just downloading AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI will not work.

There is no way we can figure out why it isn't working with the provided information.

I would need at least all output from the SciTE output pane when you press F7.

Jos

I couldn't find the wrapper installer. I only see two files on the download page:

AutoIt3Wrapper.exe

AutoIt3Wrapper_Gui.exe

Using the GUI wrapper to put the following at the top of the script

#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseUpx=n
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_AU3Check=n
#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****

Then using AutoIt3Wrapper.exe to compile I am able to compile out a working EXE file.

Something is wrong I think with Au3check.exe and UPX.exe though I can't determine if there is something wrong with my computer,

I do not have a second one to test AutoIT3 on.

I am not sure what AU3Check does, I have not gotten that far into the program yet. I am new to AutoIT3 but it is really a wonderful program.

I also downloaded and installed the Beta thinking that may resolve whatever is wrong but it too gives the same thing with those two files hanging and freezing 50% of CPU power.

I am sure you need more information from me but I do not know what you need. Please let me know what I can post for you and give directions on how to get the info if it is too much over my head.

Thanks.

I got fed up with this issue and restored the operating system drive from a backup archive.

I reinstalled AutoIT3 from the older backup and things seem to be working. I do not know what happened

or what caused this issue.

At least for right now I am happy camper with AutoIT3 working now.

Sorry if I caused any trouble or pissed off Jos with this.

Thanks.

• Developers

I couldn't find the wrapper installer. I only see two files on the download page:

AutoIt3Wrapper.exe

AutoIt3Wrapper_Gui.exe

Using the GUI wrapper to put the following at the top of the script

#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseUpx=n
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_AU3Check=n
#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****

Then using AutoIt3Wrapper.exe to compile I am able to compile out a working EXE file.

Something is wrong I think with Au3check.exe and UPX.exe though I can't determine if there is something wrong with my computer,

I do not have a second one to test AutoIT3 on.

I am not sure what AU3Check does, I have not gotten that far into the program yet. I am new to AutoIT3 but it is really a wonderful program.

I meant the whole SciTE4AutoIt3 installer which contains all the goodies and will avoid issues with running au3check.

See my sig for instructions.

One other thing you could do is to disable UPX by default by doing a manual compile running aut2exe clicking Compression and uncheck "UPX Compress .exe stub".

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Sorry if I caused any trouble or pissed off Jos with this.

Don't worry ... I won't over anything like this. :)

Just so I understand:

1. You only have this issue when you download and use AutoIt3Wrapper separately or also when you just do an F7 from the SciTE that comes with AutoIt3?

2. Do you also have a problem when running au2exe manually?

3. Try using the UPX that comes with the older version which is working if I understood you correctly.

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Don't worry ... I won't over anything like this. :)

Just so I understand:

1. You only have this issue when you download and use AutoIt3Wrapper separately or also when you just do an F7 from the SciTE that comes with AutoIt3?

2. Do you also have a problem when running au2exe manually?

3. Try using the UPX that comes with the older version which is working if I understood you correctly.

Jos

Anytime I try to compile either with standalone OR scite with or without the gui wrapper UPX and au2check runs they both stick at 50% of CPU.

I do not know what causes UPX or au2check from completing. Could a recent update to windows xp or ie8 cause this issue? That is only thing I can think. I don't know though.

• Developers

Anytime I try to compile either with standalone OR scite with or without the gui wrapper UPX and au2check runs they both stick at 50% of CPU.

I do not know what causes UPX or au2check from completing. Could a recent update to windows xp or ie8 cause this issue? That is only thing I can think. I don't know though.

I have no idea. We have seen issues with AV and UPX but have never yet with au3check as that simply only reads the script and outputs the findings to stdout.

You are running au3check also manually when this happens?

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I have no idea. We have seen issues with AV and UPX but have never yet with au3check as that simply only reads the script and outputs the findings to stdout.

You are running au3check also manually when this happens?

Jos

From Scite F7

The autowrapper opens and gives options for compile. UPX option checked when UPX runs it does not complete it just hangs. With UPX disabled Au2check runs and it also hangs.

disabling BOTH these options the exe compiles perfectly but is larger size of course.

Now, straight right click on au3 script and choose compile from menu causes both UPX and Au2check to run, I don't have option to turn those off.

Now, here is what I have found. I made backups to my op sys and when restoring to a prior backup EVERYTHING works normally. The only thing I can find is that the previous versions of my op sys were NOT updated to the recent microsoft patches for windows XP. All things being equal when I update XP then reboot that is when things start to go funky with AutoIT.

I do NOT know what updates are causing this and I do not have the time to figure that out.

Windows XP Pro Svc Pk 3 with updates to July 7th, 2009 AutoIT2 works fine. After I update from MS Updater site AutoIT goes funky.

I run AutoIT3 on windows Vista 32 Bit laptop and it works fine. I just purchased a new Windows Vista 64 bit Laptop and autoIT3 runs fine on it.

Issue is on my Windows XP Pro desktop. As of July 7th, 2009 AutoIT3 works fine after that date it doesn't.

I did not know this about the AutoIT3 date that it stopped working until I restored to previous backup image. I have NO idea what is causing the problem.

On windows Vista Premium 64 AutoIT is placed in the Program Files(x86) folder and in the right click menu I have option to compile in X86 OR 64 bit... The 64 bit exe file size is larger than the x86 exe. Why is that?

I am new to 64 bit systems but so far everything I install on it works from 32 bit software.

Thanks.

Edited by newb2it

• Developers

Now, straight right click on au3 script and choose compile from menu causes both UPX and Au2check to run, I don't have option to turn those off.

When doing a "right-mouse-click/Compile Script" in Windows Explorer you are only running aut2exe.exe which will do the compile and UPX steps internally. It will not run au3check!

I have no idea why things go wrong for you and also have WinXP sp3 patched with all available patches.

Only thing I can imagine is that your AntiVirus is playing tricks with you and you could try to look for any things there.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.