Help with Windows/Forms

Hey there,

I have no idea how the best way to go about this is (and I apologise if this is posted in teh wrong part of the forum).

I'm currently writing an AD User Manager type tool for our network using AutoIT (as opposed to rewriting the old version in KIX).

I'd like the main interface to be like a toolbar - using a main GUI window with a few buttons - easy done.

When they click a button, I'd like it to either create a new form 'docked' onto the existing one or to change the size of the main form so it uses a small amount of screen real-estate when you haven't clicked any buttons.

The problem I'm having is that when I fire it up, I can get it to create a form that's kinda docked, but I can move this form around seperately and I really don't want that so I'm thinking I have to increase the size of my main form.

(Going for kind of like a tabbed-browsing effect)

Would it be better to aim for the docked idea or would it be better to simply increase the size of the main form when a button is clicked and then resize it when they click another etc?

Ideally I'd like to be able to have them minimise the tool to the task bar and easily right-click an icon there to select the window they want (as well as using the toolbar).

So my question really is - what's the best way to go about this?

I'm using this as a learning experience to get more familiar with AutoIT and it's functions (as I used alot of functions in the old version of tool previously written in KIX).

Thanks,

Az :)

If you want to have all the controls available at the same time, then a tabbed browser would be the best. When you are a beginner, the best way to create this is to use Koda Form Designer. It comes with your installation package. While you have a script open, go to tools and click Koda (or alt+m). This is for creating guis. The form that comes up is a blank gui. You want to click on the red x for the gui (not the whole program). Then you should have a toolbar. Then go to file new. Select tabbed browser (or something like that) and you are ready to go.

When you are done, click Tools:Generate Form Code. Copy what is there into your script and you should have what you need

If you just want some of the buttons available, your best bet would be to make several guis. Keep all but the correct one hidden. That is the best way for this situation.

Edited by dantay9

If you want to hints your going to need a example script.

Appreciate this - on a side-note, I love that movie! :)

Az :)

Edit: I've come to the realisation that it's either using tabs or lots of GUIs as dantay9 suggests. I was hoping to use as few forms as possible but there we go. ;)

Edit 2: Using WinMove works wonders... does what I want exactly ;)

Edited by Azrael