AutoIt3Wrapper weird compile problem

This is weird. If I make a script with wrapper commands, I can run autoit3wrapper.exe and it compiles fine. But if I then make changes to the au3 script, and try to make a new exe with autoit3wrapper.exe, it'll compile the Original script, not the changes I made and saved. I don't even know how this is possible. What ever changes I make is completely ignored. The original script isn't even there anymore, it's the saved script with the changes. But somehow autoit3wrapper is compiling the exe from some ghost of the original script.

crazy.

This occurs if I use wrapper command line or gui. The first iteration of my script compiles fine, but following changes are ignored.

Still an issue, but I found a temp fix. Seems the compile issue exists if when you delete the .exe file (to compile a new one) you let it go to recycle bin. If you instead Shift-Del (skip recycle bin) it'll compile just fine, with changes.

I've never seen a program do that, it's crazy.

You are going to have to post your full script and describe exactly what buttons you press so the issue can be reproduced. Unless someone has already had this problem, you aren't going to get an answer without a reproduceable issue.

You are going to have to post your full script and describe exactly what buttons you press so the issue can be reproduced. Unless someone has already had this problem, you aren't going to get an answer without a reproduceable issue.

After a lot of testing, this is how to easily replicate it.

In Windows (I'm XP with all SPs and Updates)

1. Create an autoit script (.au3), any script will do, the actual contents of the script is irrelevant here.

2. Add these descriptors to the top of your script:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_useupx=n
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_SaveSource=Y
#AutoIt3Wrapper_run_after="d:\program files\Autoit3\Aut2Exe\upx.exe" --best --compress-resources=0 "%out%"

3. Compile it with AutoIt3Wrapper.exe

4. Check the file with ResHack, look at the source code. Looks right.

Then...

5. Delete the .exe (send to recycle bin, not Shift-Delete!)

6. Now change anything in the script, put a crazy comment or whatever it doesn't matter, then save it (same original filename).

7. redo step #3 to recompile another .exe file.

8. Check the source code with ResHack again, and there's the problem. You'll see the original source, not the changes. The script will even execute as the original, not the new changed one.

But, if in step #5 you either A.) skip the recycle bin via a shift-delete, or B.) rename your source file, you will not have the problem at all.

The actual script doesn't matter, but here's the test script I'm using:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_useupx=n
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_SaveSource=Y
#AutoIt3Wrapper_run_after="d:\program files\Autoit3\Aut2Exe\upx.exe" --best --compress-resources=0 "%out%"
;   
;Script Below
;

MsgBox(0, "Test", "test")

• Moderators

Dr.Chi,

I have just followed your instructions to the letter using your script and cannot reproduce the error. The included script is always the one I have just saved and compiled, whether I am running 3.3.0.0 or Beta 3.3.1.1. I am on Vista HP SP2.

Sorry I cannot throw any more light on it - must be something on your system.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Dr.Chi,

I have just followed your instructions to the letter using your script and cannot reproduce the error. The included script is always the one I have just saved and compiled, whether I am running 3.3.0.0 or Beta 3.3.1.1. I am on Vista HP SP2.

Sorry I cannot throw any more light on it - must be something on your system.

M23

Weird, but maybe so.

I've got a good/easy workaround for now, so I'll not worry much about it unless it becomes a larger issue.

Thanks!

I'm not getting this problem. It recompiles fine for me. One thing i see is instead of running upx afterwards, just compile it with upx. Maybe Jon can help out.

The reason it runs afterwords is because without the "compress-resources=0" you can't read the source code without doing a manual UPX -d on the exe first.