'Gambling' game.

*Change of topic*

Well, this topic before consisted of me trying to get an .ini file that couldn't be changed (or typed in, only by the program by itself) for a 'Gambling' program I was gonna make to let people play on this one online game. My idea thus far (before I thought of the huge problemo) was this:

1. They come to me and buy a 'ticket'... I type their name on a separate program with a huge ticket database. It writes down their name with their ticket. (This way, they can't give the ticket to a friend and the friend wins and comes to me and collects money when it wasn't his ticket)

2. They go off and play the game. They would type in their ticket and play the game (It would record these tickets in a different .ini)

3. It writes down if they lost/won in an .ini file (This is why I needed an 'unchangeable .ini file so they couldn't say they won everytime) , and if they won it wrote how much money they wagered (they would type in their wager before the game), how much they should receive, their name, and their ticket

4. I go back to the one database of tickets and type in their name and ticket, and if it matches, then I would pay them their winnings.

With #2 above: Then I had a brain serge and thought of the most simple way to defeat my own system... They could simply delete the .ini file of all their tickets... and re-use them over and over until they get a win.

Now am I over-complicating things? Like would there be a much easier way to do all of this? Would going to a 'TCP server' route be my best bet? (Even though I have NO idea how to do it ><)....

My only other thought to stop this would be... Make a check RIGHT BEFORE the game starts to see if the ticket.ini and some text would be there. If it wasn't they would have to re-download the program so it is there again. But they could re-make a notepad file and make it an .ini and type in whatever the REAL .ini had in it, and the check would pass and they could just keep deleting their used tickets from the .ini every time they use it.... ><

Thanks for the help,

UnknownWarrior

Edited by UnknownWarrior

Well I didn't really know what to search... I searched what the title says and a few other things, but I'm sure its possible. Anyhow...

I just want to get a quick answer and this thread can be deleted or whatever, because I'm sure its an easy question.

How would I write an .ini that couldn't be typed or changed? (Or maybe what I'm looking for is something other than an .ini?)... I am making a type of 'gambling' game, and the only way I see that they can prove to me if they had won or not, is to copy and paste the .ini file's results to me. But, what I need to accomplish in this thread is so they can't simply go into the .ini and change 'lose' to 'win' and paste me 'win' and they get their winnings.

The only other way I see of obtaining their results is with some sort of server, but that seems over complicated for me right now >< (It would need to 'listen' to their client, and send the data to my computer... Would be a mess I think :) ).

Thanks for the help,

UnknownWarrior

Why not just make the file encrypted, that way if they were to open it they would not know how to change it?

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Crap... I just spotted the most simplest flaw to my idea from the first post... When someone copies and pastes their winnings to me... Sure if the .ini is unchangeable... But the second they copy and paste... They can edit it then.... :S

I need some ideas here guys xD

Your best bet is probably to use the server setup; however, you could encrypt and then have the program decrypt it and give them the required information. It would still be difficult to ensure that users didn't just delete the file. I think the server is the most reasonable way to go.

Your best bet is probably to use the server setup; however, you could encrypt and then have the program decrypt it and give them the required information. It would still be difficult to ensure that users didn't just delete the file. I think the server is the most reasonable way to go.

I have looked into it before, but I defintely need some guidance on it. I actually searched about it a few days ago when I was coming up with this project and well.... I didn't understand much of any of the threads. I understand how to DO the Listen, Send, etc.... But I don't know what ports to send it to, how to actually get the information from them (I need 2 servers.... a server and a client right?... I'm the server and their the client?)

I mean of course this is the most efficient route to go, but I don't know if its in my knowledge capacity xD. If anyone is willing to help me along, I'd defintly would be willing to give it a shot.

Also, is it possible to make a server/client TCP with only a few lines of code? (Few meaning maybe like 20 or so, or is it a huge hardcode code that needs to be implemented?) I mean if its simple enough all I need to do is to figure out how to send the stuff I need to know, and that way I can then send EVERYTHING they do on the program to me. Such as what ticket they typed in, if they used duplicate ticket, how much money they have in their 'cash pot', if they actually won or not, etc.

Thanks,

UnknownWarrior :)