<!DOCTYPE root SYSTEM "rules.dtd">
<root>
  Testfile with a <not_existing_element/>
</root>

Content of rules.dtd:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!ELEMENT root(#PCDATA)>

Content of validate.au3:

$xml = ObjCreate("MSXML2.DOMdocument.6.0")

With $xml
 .setProperty ("ProhibitDTD",False)
 .async = False
 .validateOnParse = True
 .resolveExternals = True
 .Load ("c:\xml\test.xml")
EndWith

msgbox (16, "Error", $xml.parseError.reason)

Normally I would expect a parsing error because of the not declared <not_existing_element/>. But no matter what I do with the source document - I always get the message "0". If the source document is not well-formed the parser delivers a error message as expected but no validation results at all.

Is there any working example to validate a xml against a DTD with AutoIt? I also tried the "_XMLDOMWrapper"-Extension but I got no parse error there, too. When trying to validate the source with the "_XMLSchemaValidate"-Procedure I got a error message which says "Cannot have a DTD declaration outside of a DTD". No matter how I try, I simply can't get that to work. :)

Any help appreciated,

spyro

validate.zip

Edited by spyro2000

There's a working a example in java: http://www.webreference.com/programming/javascript/rg35/2.html

and a related question here: http://objectmix.com/xml-soap/713782-dtd-prohibited-when-trying-add-xmlschema-xsd-schema-schemas-schema-cache-msxml6.html

and here: http://bytes.com/groups/xml/827933-problem-dtd-declaration

You might test if the problem is specific to AutoIt or if it is duplicable in another language like VB.

You might test if the problem is specific to AutoIt or if it is duplicable in another language like VB.

Hi there and thanks for your quick answer.

I've tested this code with only minor changes in the syntax within a VBS file and I ran smooth like a babies ass...

I seems in fact to be a AutoIt-specific problem.

This is the VBS code I used for exactly the same XML-File an DTD:

Set xml = CreateObject("MSXML2.DOMdocument.6.0")
With xml
Call .setProperty("ProhibitDTD", False)
 .async = False
 .validateOnParse = True
 .resolveExternals = True
 .Load ("c:\xml\test.xml")
End With

msgbox xml.parseError.reason

This gives me the excepted parsing error message as delivered by MSXML instead of the value "0"...

Could this possibly be a bug in the AutoIt COM interface or something like that?

spyro

Edited by spyro2000

Could this possibly be a bug in the AutoIt COM interface or something like that?

Could be. I'm a bit surprised by this as well, and I'm not sure why it's happening. There is no COM error thrown, but the methods clearly aren't working as they should... Even more curious is this-

$xml = ObjCreate("MSXML2.DOMdocument.5.0")  
With $xml  
.setProperty ("ProhibitDTD",False)  
.async = False  .resolveExternals = True  
.Load (@ScriptDir&"\test.xml") 
EndWith  
msgbox (16, "Error", $xml.parseError.reason)

Which uses and older version of the XML COM object but does work (validateOnPrase defaults to true in this version)...

I'm not sure if the bug is in the COM object or AutoIts handling of the COM object, or in some silly implmentation detail we've overlooked. If you have the time, try putting in a support ticket to the AutoIt devs and see if they'll take a look.

Edited by evilertoaster

If you have the time, try putting in a support ticket to the AutoIt devs and see if they'll take a look.

Hello evilertoaster,

Done. Unfortunely the ticked was rejected without reading because I linked the initial post of this thread. >_<

Maybe it would make more sense to capsule a VBScript-based solution to get the correct messages from MSXML.

thanks anyway,

spyro

Edited by spyro2000