best way to parse through or datamine files

Ok, so I've been having no luck with this and been working on it for hours. >_< What I'm trying to do is read a history log file (that is being updated every so many seconds) and then compare the data to my own .ini file. If it matches take a certain action Let's say my .ini file looks like this:

[Section]
joe=tight
bob=shark

What I am trying to do is check the log file to see if joe is in it, then find what seat he is sitting in. Now the problem is since it's constantly being updated there may be 50 entries of his Seat #. This could obviously change and my program would go a function numerous times because it sees 50 entries of the Seat # joe is sitting at. So in the end it ended up creating 50 different labels in several different spots because joe moved Seat #'s at the table. I'm very frustrated and don't know the logic on how to go about doing this. Maybe start reading from the end of the file, like read the last occurrence of where he was sitting? Please someone help I'm very lost and would be extremely grateful. Please tell me anything you don't understand.

You can start by reading the log file first time entirely. Once it reaches the last line, keep that line number in a variable.

Next time when reading the log, read it from the line number you kept in that variable to the end, once the end is reached, update your variable with the new number ... rinse and repeat ...

Good luck,

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)

You can start by reading the log file first time entirely. Once it reaches the last line, keep that line number in a variable.

Next time when reading the log, read it from the line number you kept in that variable to the end, once the end is reached, update your variable with the new number ... rinse and repeat ...

Good luck,

thats sounds like a good idea. what command do i use to know when it reaches the last line in the file?

It can be slow if the file gets constantly updated (and is also a big file). Try to open the file in share read mode, look at the _WinAPI_CreateFile() function in the help file for the necessary details. If the file was opened using share read mode, you can only read and must specify this share access mode when you open the file, otherwise it'll fail. Try a few combinations of share mode like read-write, either or all (i.e. read-write-execute) if you haven't managed to get a valid handle to the file, drop this approach and try the line counter approach.

This piece of code will give you the idea:

#Include <File.au3>

$file = "your file here"
$LastLine_nbr = _FileCountLines($file)      ;use this first time to get the last line number

;when you read it after that to check for changes

For $i = $LastLine_nbr To _FileCountLines($file)
    ;check for changes ... your own code here
Next
$LastLine_nbr = _FileCountLines($file)      ;update the value of the last line

Authenticity is right, when yoy have to deal with a big file which is updated often the above method will be slow, but if it's not the case then you can use my code to do it.

YOU should have the idea not me >_<

I don't usually debug other's code (especially when the code hasn't been checked by the owner ... I had to spend some time to close your For, If's and Func) but today I've made an exception.

EDIT: code removes as OP requested

Edited by enaiman

Both ways are working the same, there is no way that _FileReadToArray was causing your problems.

Other than that - do yourself some debugging. The function I've modified for you is supposed to read everytime the new added part to your text file (that's what $begin variable is used for; to store the last line number at the end of function call and to make it available at the next function call) and to do whatever you wanted (it is your code). If it doesn't then you have to work on it. It is you having the files and the whole code.

IMO I've spent enough time today working on this.

Edited by enaiman