registry write & check box options

Hello,

I am working on a system permissions policy menu that has 4 checkboxes and an Apply button.

Hide My Computer

Hide Control Panel

Hide Drives in the system

disable right click

I have found checkbox scripts from past posts that write the result of the checkboxes into and .INI file and loads it back up upon clicking onthe Load button. I have a couple of questions:

1. I need help trying to figure out how to go about adding RegWrite and RegRead to the gui so when the user selects the options they wnat and when they click on apply, those options write the changes to the registry as well as doing the current ini update.

2. Is there a way to automatically read the ini file and populate the previously selected boxes with checkmarks the next time the app is launched and if there are changes being made, to update the registry and the ini?

the iniWrite functions are listed. I also know how to write to the registry, but I don't know where to put it in the script or do the other things. Any instructions, help or even pointing to a simillar script is appreciated.

Thanks

Mehrdad

Func ApplyClick()
    IniWrite(@ScriptDir&"\permission.ini","optionbox","Hide My Computer",IsChecked($HideMyComp))
    IniWrite(@ScriptDir&"\permission.ini","optionbox","Hide Control Panel",IsChecked($HideControl))
    IniWrite(@ScriptDir&"\permission.ini","optionbox","Hide Drives",IsChecked($HideDrives))
    IniWrite(@ScriptDir&"\permission.ini","optionbox","Disable Right Click",IsChecked($HideRClick))
EndFunc

You don't need an ini file to do this:

Func ApplyClick()
    If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideMyComp), $GUI_CHECKED) Then RegWrite("reg key name1" ,"value name", "type", "value")
    If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideControl), $GUI_CHECKED) Then RegWrite("reg key name2" ,"value name", "type", "value")
    If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideDrives), $GUI_CHECKED) Then RegWrite("reg key name3" ,"value name", "type", "value")
    If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideRClick), $GUI_CHECKED) Then RegWrite("reg key name4" ,"value name", "type", "value")
EndFunc

This code is checking the status of the checkbox, if checked then it will write to registry.

You will have to replace "reg key nameX" ,"value name", "type", "value" with the appropriate values for each checkbox.

Have a look at RegWrite function in the help file.

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)

You don't need an ini file to do this:

Func ApplyClick()
    If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideMyComp), $GUI_CHECKED) Then RegWrite("reg key name1" ,"value name", "type", "value")
    If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideControl), $GUI_CHECKED) Then RegWrite("reg key name2" ,"value name", "type", "value")
    If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideDrives), $GUI_CHECKED) Then RegWrite("reg key name3" ,"value name", "type", "value")
    If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideRClick), $GUI_CHECKED) Then RegWrite("reg key name4" ,"value name", "type", "value")
EndFunc

This code is checking the status of the checkbox, if checked then it will write to registry.

You will have to replace "reg key nameX" ,"value name", "type", "value" with the appropriate values for each checkbox.

Have a look at RegWrite function in the help file.

Thanks Enaiman for the suggestion. If I understand it correctly, your code only writes to the registry if the option is checked. How will the script know if the options was previously checked and the registry already edited when the script is launched again at a later time? The ini file was so it would remember what option(s) were aleady active from prior sessions. Am I correct or am I missing the point here?

Thanks

Mehrdad

It will be better for your script to check these registry keys at startup and check the boxes accordingly.

Something like:

If RegRead("reg key name1" ,"value name") = "value" Then 
    GUICtrlSetState($HideMyComp, $GUI_CHECKED)
Else
    GUICtrlSetState($HideMyComp, $GUI_UNCHECKED)
EndIf
If RegRead("reg key name2" ,"value name") = "value" Then 
    GUICtrlSetState($HideControl, $GUI_CHECKED)
Else
    GUICtrlSetState($HideControl, $GUI_UNCHECKED)
EndIf
If RegRead("reg key name3" ,"value name") = "value" Then 
    GUICtrlSetState($HideDrives, $GUI_CHECKED)
Else
    GUICtrlSetState($HideDrives, $GUI_UNCHECKED)
EndIf
If RegRead("reg key name4" ,"value name") = "value" Then 
    GUICtrlSetState($HideRClick, $GUI_CHECKED)
Else
    GUICtrlSetState($HideRClick, $GUI_UNCHECKED)
EndIf

(see the my previous post where from I've got the "reg key nameX" ...)

This way your script will give you accurate info about how these options are.

If something (or somebody) has modified these keys manually (not using your script), your ini file will have wrong info. The above method will efeectively read the registry.

It will be better for your script to check these registry keys at startup and check the boxes accordingly.

Something like:

If RegRead("reg key name1" ,"value name") = "value" Then 
    GUICtrlSetState($HideMyComp, $GUI_CHECKED)
Else
    GUICtrlSetState($HideMyComp, $GUI_UNCHECKED)
EndIf
If RegRead("reg key name2" ,"value name") = "value" Then 
Else
EndIf
If RegRead("reg key name3" ,"value name") = "value" Then 
    GUICtrlSetState($HideDrives, $GUI_CHECKED)
Else
    GUICtrlSetState($HideDrives, $GUI_UNCHECKED)
EndIf
If RegRead("reg key name4" ,"value name") = "value" Then 
Else
EndIf

(see the my previous post where from I've got the "reg key nameX" ...)

This way your script will give you accurate info about how these options are.

If something (or somebody) has modified these keys manually (not using your script), your ini file will have wrong info. The above method will efeectively read the registry.

Enaiman, that was great. It worked perfectly for reading the registry entries. I have to mention that I am very new to this but I pickup quickly. I need to ask you another favor and that is where to put the function for the apply button, so when the user selects all of their choices and click on apply, then all the registry writes will happen. I have attached the entire script and I am confused about what I am doing wrong. Thank you in advance.

Mehrdad

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

Opt('MustDeclareVars', 1)

Permissions()

Func Permissions()
    Local $HideMyComp, $HideDrive, $HideControl, $HideRClick, $msg, $widthCell, $Apply
    GUICreate("Access Policies", 220, 180, -1, -1)

$widthCell =210
    $HideMyComp = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Disale Access to My Computer", 15, 20, $widthCell, 20)
    $HideControl = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Disale Access to Control Panel", -1, 50, $widthCell, 20)
    $HideDrive = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Hide all drives in the DVR", -1, 80, $widthCell, 20)
    $HideRClick = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Disale mouse Right-Click option", -1, 110, $widthCell, 20)
    $Apply = GUICtrlCreateButton("Apply", 70, 150, 80, 20)
    GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "ApplyClick")

GUISetState() 

While 1
        $msg = GUIGetMsg()
        Select
        If $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Then ExitLoop

Case $msg = $HideMyComp 
                    MsgBox(4096, "", "This will disable access to my computer")

Case $msg = $HideControl
                    MsgBox(4096, "", "This will disable access to Control panel")

Case $msg = $HideDrive
                    MsgBox(4096, "", "This will hide all drives")

Case $msg = $HideRClick
                    MsgBox(4096, "", "This will disable Right Click")

EndSelect

;   If RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer","NoDrives") = "16" Then 
    ;       GUICtrlSetState($HideMyComp, $GUI_CHECKED)
    ;   Else
    ;       GUICtrlSetState($HideMyComp, $GUI_UNCHECKED)
    ;   EndIf

If RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer","NoControlPanel") = "1" Then 
        Else
        EndIf

If RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer","NoDrives") = "16" Then 
            GUICtrlSetState($HideDrive, $GUI_CHECKED)
        Else
            GUICtrlSetState($HideDrive, $GUI_UNCHECKED)
        EndIf

If RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer","NoViewContextMenu") = "1" Then 
        Else
        EndIf

WEnd
EndFunc

Func ApplyClick()
    ;   If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideMyComp), $GUI_CHECKED) Then RegWrite("reg key name1" ,"value name", "type", "value")
        If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideControl), $GUI_CHECKED) Then RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" ,"NoControlPanel", "REG_DWORD", "1")
        If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideDrive), $GUI_CHECKED) Then RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" ,"NoDrives", "REG_DWORD", "16")
        If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideRClick), $GUI_CHECKED) Then RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" ,"NoViewContextMenu", "REG_DWORD", "1")
EndFunc

Well, I can see you're fairly new into this :( but you're on the good way >_<

Modified code:

Global $HideMyComp, $HideDrive, $HideControl, $HideRClick

Permissions()

Func Permissions()
    Local $widthCell, $Apply, $msg

$widthCell =210
    $HideMyComp = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Disable Access to My Computer", 15, 20, $widthCell, 20)
    $HideControl = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Disable Access to Control Panel", -1, 50, $widthCell, 20)
    $HideDrive = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Hide all drives in the DVR", -1, 80, $widthCell, 20)
    $HideRClick = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Disable mouse Right-Click option", -1, 110, $widthCell, 20)
    _ReadREGValues()

GUISetState() 

While 1
        $msg = GUIGetMsg()
        Select

Case $msg = $HideMyComp 
                If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideMyComp), $GUI_CHECKED) Then
                Else
                    MsgBox(4096, "", "This will enable access to my computer")
                EndIf

Case $msg = $HideControl
                If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideControl), $GUI_CHECKED) Then
                Else
                    MsgBox(4096, "", "This will enable access to Control panel")
                EndIf

Case $msg = $HideDrive
                If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideDrive), $GUI_CHECKED) Then
                Else
                    MsgBox(4096, "", "This will show all drives")
                EndIf

Case $msg = $HideRClick
                If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideRClick), $GUI_CHECKED) Then
                Else
                    MsgBox(4096, "", "This will enable Right Click")
                EndIf

Case $msg = $HideRClick
                ApplyClick()

EndSelect
    WEnd
EndFunc

Func _ReadREGValues()
    If RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer","NoControlPanel") = "1" Then 
    Else
    EndIf

If RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer","NoDrives") = "16" Then 
    Else
    EndIf

If RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer","NoViewContextMenu") = "1" Then 
    Else
    EndIf
EndFunc

Func ApplyClick()
    ;   If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideMyComp), $GUI_CHECKED) Then RegWrite("reg key name1" ,"value name", "type", "value")
        If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideControl), $GUI_CHECKED) Then RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" ,"NoControlPanel", "REG_DWORD", "1")
        If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideDrive), $GUI_CHECKED) Then RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" ,"NoDrives", "REG_DWORD", "16")
        If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideRClick), $GUI_CHECKED) Then RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" ,"NoViewContextMenu", "REG_DWORD", "1")
EndFunc

You had some errors in your code:

- GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "ApplyClick") => OnEventMode is set at the beginig of the script and the whole script (usually) has a form specific to this mode; you weren't using OnEvent so that line had to be removed

- The registry value check was placed inside the While loop => it was checked/applied every time so the checkboxes couldn't be checked/unchecked; The registry check was moved inside a function and the function ran (once) before showing the GUI.

- because your checkbox's handles were used inside another function they had to be declared Global not "Local"

Other than that it was pretty good.

I have changed also the message you get whenever you check/uncheck a checkbox in order to reflect the appropriate action.

Have a look at the modified code and try to understand what I did - that will help you in the future.

I remember an old chinese proverb: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

That's what I'm trying to do :(

Edited by enaiman

Well, I can see you're fairly new into this :( but you're on the good way >_<

Modified code:

Global $HideMyComp, $HideDrive, $HideControl, $HideRClick

Permissions()

Func Permissions()
    Local $widthCell, $Apply, $msg

$widthCell =210
    $HideMyComp = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Disable Access to My Computer", 15, 20, $widthCell, 20)
    $HideControl = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Disable Access to Control Panel", -1, 50, $widthCell, 20)
    $HideRClick = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Disable mouse Right-Click option", -1, 110, $widthCell, 20)
    _ReadREGValues()

GUISetState() 

While 1
        $msg = GUIGetMsg()
        Select

Case $msg = $HideMyComp 
                If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideMyComp), $GUI_CHECKED) Then
                Else
                    MsgBox(4096, "", "This will enable access to my computer")
                EndIf

Case $msg = $HideControl
                If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideControl), $GUI_CHECKED) Then
                Else
                    MsgBox(4096, "", "This will enable access to Control panel")
                EndIf

Case $msg = $HideDrive
                If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideDrive), $GUI_CHECKED) Then
                Else
                    MsgBox(4096, "", "This will show all drives")
                EndIf

Case $msg = $HideRClick
                If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($HideRClick), $GUI_CHECKED) Then
                Else
                    MsgBox(4096, "", "This will enable Right Click")
                EndIf

Case $msg = $HideRClick
                ApplyClick()

EndSelect
    WEnd
EndFunc

Func _ReadREGValues()
    Else
    EndIf

Else
    EndIf

Else
    EndIf
EndFunc

Func ApplyClick()
EndFunc

You had some errors in your code:

- GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "ApplyClick") => OnEventMode is set at the beginig of the script and the whole script (usually) has a form specific to this mode; you weren't using OnEvent so that line had to be removed

- The registry value check was placed inside the While loop => it was checked/applied every time so the checkboxes couldn't be checked/unchecked; The registry check was moved inside a function and the function ran (once) before showing the GUI.

- because your checkbox's handles were used inside another function they had to be declared Global not "Local"

Other than that it was pretty good.

I have changed also the message you get whenever you check/uncheck a checkbox in order to reflect the appropriate action.

Have a look at the modified code and try to understand what I did - that will help you in the future.

I remember an old chinese proverb: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

That's what I'm trying to do :(

Thank you so much enaiman. I had to leave the project for a few days. I got back on it today and I had to add a OK button to get it to close properly since I removed the X tool option. I also added the reverse function so it will reset the registry back to original if an option is unchecked at the same time. Although this is only a part of a bigger project, I could not have done this without your help.

Thanks again,

Mehrdad