How do you install an application properly?

Hi guys.

I'm trying to come up with a list of things needed to properly install a "home brew" application on windows XP and Vista. Now I know that if you want the program to run at start up you can add the program name to the registry as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run\myprogramname.exe. Are there more registry entries needed to make it legitimate?

What else is required to make this a legitimate program from the eyes of XP and Vista. My biggest problem right now is that my application will through flags at the anti-virus and malware scanners. Im thinking it may be related to the app not being digitally signed/or not having any information under "proccess descryption" and "company name".

All suggestions welcome...

Thanks,

Mike

You aren't even close there, the reasons AutoIt scripts are flagged is:

• Your AV doesn't like UPX compressed executables, or...
  • Your AV doesn't like the AutoIt interpreter

Edit:To sum it up: change your AV's settings or change AV altogether.

Edited by AdmiralAlkex

Thanks for your response AdmiralAlkex. However, it's not just about autoit, it's about installing and registering any EXE so that it conforms to Microsoft. I know about UPX compression and you can choose not to use it,you can even turn off virus protection during the install, but that's not the issue here. I more or less want to make sure that I can install on other machines without any hassles.

Thanks for your input LarryDalooza , think that might be what I'm looking for.

So I guess that reg key is were I would also leave the path of the uninstaller, updater/modifier etc?

Is there anything else I have to do to make it legit? Digital signing, or something? I see that on programs that I have downloaded. A box pops up with something on the order of "this program is not digitally signed, are you sure you want to trust ..." Also, with Vista, I thought I read something about not installing to the Program Files directory?

Mike

• 2 months later...

Thanks for your response AdmiralAlkex. However, it's not just about autoit, it's about installing and registering any EXE so that it conforms to Microsoft. I know about UPX compression and you can choose not to use it,you can even turn off virus protection during the install, but that's not the issue here. I more or less want to make sure that I can install on other machines without any hassles.

Thanks for your input LarryDalooza , think that might be what I'm looking for.

So I guess that reg key is were I would also leave the path of the uninstaller, updater/modifier etc?

Is there anything else I have to do to make it legit? Digital signing, or something? I see that on programs that I have downloaded. A box pops up with something on the order of "this program is not digitally signed, are you sure you want to trust ..." Also, with Vista, I thought I read something about not installing to the Program Files directory?

Mike

I think there is some good example on what you looking for.

Your Diary by DexterMorgan

I also sometimes refer to his installer but I think there is a better way.

Maybe It could give you some idea.

• 1 month later...

Regarding installing software, I tend to write stand-alone applications but I still find that sometimes AntiVirus software detects it as malicious depending on where files/registry entries are created and what the program does. Most AntiVirus software using Heuristics look at specific Folder/registry locations to decide if you are 'dodgy'. I therefore use my own registry location within HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE and also create my own folder location. To auto-run I tend to use the Startup Location in the startup menu. This works fine with me.

I have not found a 'compatible' microsoft format because it simply does not seem to exist. You don not need an uninstaller if the user can simply delete your program and it's gone.

I found that setting my program as a service works well

I hope this makes you feel easier,

Gingerbloke