Can anyone post a basic checkbox script?

Im trying to learn about checkboxes but the help file doesnt seem to show me what Im looking for. I´m looking for a way to make a gui with 2 or 3 checkboxes and a button. When the button is pressed a msg box comes up based on which checkboxes are checked. The helpfile only shows how to actually make a checkbox but not do anything with it. I have a working script with checkboxes in it but I cant seem to dissect it like I normally can. The functions in the working script are just too intertwined for me to be able to pick apart. If anyone could post a basic script or tell me if Im looking in the wrong place please let me know

Gui with 3 checkboxes. Click for example box 1 and 3. Press the ¨results button¨ and it brings up a pop up saying ¨checkboxes 1 and 3 are checked¨.

Thanks for your help

chad

• Moderators

RAMMRODD,

Because it is raining hard and I am stuck indoors.....

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

$hGUI = GUICreate("Test", 500, 500)

$hCheck1 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Check 1", 10, 10, 100, 20)
$hCheck2 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Check 2", 10, 50, 100, 20)
$hCheck3 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Check 3", 10, 90, 100, 20)

$hButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Go!", 10, 150, 80, 30)

GUISetState()

While 1

Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $hButton
            $sResult = "Checkbox" & @CRLF
            For $i = $hCheck1 To $hCheck3
                If GUICtrlRead($i) = 1 Then $sResult &= 1 + $i - $hCheck1 & @CRLF
            Next
            If $sResult = "Checkboxes" & @CRLF Then $sResult = "No checkboxes" & @CRLF
            $sResult &= "checked"
            MsgBox(0, "Result", $sResult)
    EndSwitch
WEnd

But as Sir Humphrey Ware-Armitage said to Courtney: "Don't expect treats like this all the time!" >_<

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

I know I shouldnt expect it. I looked at example scripts and the helpfile but couldnt come up with a working example. I avoided it as long as possible, I really did and THANK YOU!

Both

Chad

Pretty sure I got close to what the lines mean please lemme know

$hGUI = GUICreate("Test", 500, 500);creates GUI

$hCheck1 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Check 1", 10, 10, 100, 20);creates checkbox $hCheck1  
$hCheck2 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Check 2", 10, 50, 100, 20);creates checkbox $hCheck2 
$hCheck3 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Check 3", 10, 90, 100, 20);creates checkbox $hCheck3 

$hButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Go!", 10, 150, 80, 30);creates button $hButton

GUISetState()

While 1

Switch GUIGetMsg();names switch
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE;if the x button is pressed it exits
            Exit
        Case $hButton;if the button is pressed it does the stuff under it
            $sResult = "Checkbox" & @CRLF;gives $sResult a default value
            For $i = $hCheck1 To $hCheck3;names the checkboxes to $i
                If GUICtrlRead($i) = 1 Then $sResult &= 1 + $i - $hCheck1 & @CRLF;if $i = true then changes $sResult to something not sure what the &= means. Maybe adds the value to the original value?
            Next
            If $sResult = "Checkbox" & @CRLF Then $sResult = "No checkboxes" & @CRLF;if the value of $sResult has not been changed then it is changed to "no checkboxes"
            $sResult &= "checked";maybe adds "checked" to the end of $sResult
            MsgBox(0, "Result", $sResult);pop up showing $sResult's final value
    EndSwitch
WEnd
Edited by RAMMRODD

• Moderators

RAMMRODD,

Pretty close - I have not changed much:

$hGUI = GUICreate("Test", 500, 500) ; creates GUI

$hCheck1 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Check 1", 10, 10, 100, 20) ; creates checkbox $hCheck1
$hCheck2 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Check 2", 10, 50, 100, 20) ; creates checkbox $hCheck2
$hCheck3 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Check 3", 10, 90, 100, 20) ; creates checkbox $hCheck3

$hButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Go!", 10, 150, 80, 30) ; creates button $hButton

GUISetState() ; shows GUI

While 1

Switch GUIGetMsg() ; checks values returned by GUIGetMsg in the following case statements
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE ; if the x button is pressed it exits
            Exit
        Case $hButton ; if the button is pressed it does the stuff under it
            $sResult = "Checkbox" & @CRLF ; gives $sResult a default value
            For $i = $hCheck1 To $hCheck3 ; sets $i to the Control indices if the check boxes
                ; We work through the checkboxes in turn
                If GUICtrlRead($i) = 1 Then $sResult &= 1 + $i - $hCheck1 & @CRLF ; see text!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Next
            If $sResult = "Checkbox" & @CRLF Then $sResult = "No checkboxes" & @CRLF ; if the value of $sResult has not been changed then it is changed to "no checkboxes"
            $sResult &= "checked" ; adds "checked" to the end of $sResult
            MsgBox(0, "Result", $sResult) ; pop up showing $sResult's final value
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Now for the "$sResult &= 1 + $i - $hCheck1 & @CRLF" bit....

$hCheck1 is the Control Index of the first checkbox - its value will depend on how many controls have been created beforehand, but when I look here it is "3". When we loop through the checkboxes, $i is set to the Control Index values of the 3 boxes. If we find that a box is checked, we know the value of the Control Index (the value of $i) but we need to manipulate it to get the checkbox number.

The first checkbox has a Control Index of $hCheck1, so we know that if $i has that value we need to get it to "1" - the same sort of logic is true for the rest. Let us take the actual value of the checkbox ControlIDs in this example and see what we need to do:

Control Index -> Position

3 -> 1

4 -> 2

5 -> 3

My solution was based on the fact that we know (because we coded it that way!) that the first and lowest value of $i will be $hCheck1 (the the Control Index of the first checkbox), the second value will be $hCheck2 etc. So the maths becomes very simple:

$i = $hCheck1 (3). Subtract the lowest value of $i which is $hCheck1 (3) which gives us (0). However, we need a value of (1) so add 1. Result = 1 !!!

$i = $hCheck2 (4). Subtract the lowest value of $i which is $hCheck1 (3) which gives us (1). However, we need a value of (2) so add 1. Result = 2 !!!

$i = $hCheck3 (5). Subtract the lowest value of $i which is $hCheck1 (3) which gives us (2). However, we need a value of (3) so add 1. Result = 3 !!!

Thus the code reads: 1 + $i - $hCheck1 (OK I changed the order a bit to make it look prettier >_< ) The @CRLF is just to make each number appear on a new line.

I hope that all makes sense!

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

• Moderators

RAMMRODD,

A full description of ControlIDs is given in the Help file: AutoIt -> Function Reference -> Window management -> Controls.

In short: when creating its own GUIs, Autoit allocates the first available ControlID number to the control just created. Try running the following:

$hGUI = GUICreate("Test", 500, 500)

$hCheck1 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Check 1", 10, 10, 100, 20) ; creates checkbox $hCheck1
    ConsoleWrite("ControlID $hCheck1: " & $hCheck1 & @CRLF)
$hCheck2 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Check 2", 10, 50, 100, 20) ; creates checkbox $hCheck2
    ConsoleWrite("ControlID $hCheck2: " & $hCheck2 & @CRLF)
$hCheck3 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Check 3", 10, 90, 100, 20) ; creates checkbox $hCheck3
    ConsoleWrite("ControlID $hCheck3: " & $hCheck3 & @CRLF)

$hButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Go!", 10, 150, 80, 30) ; creates button $hButton
    ConsoleWrite("ControlID $hButton: " & $hButton & @CRLF)

GUISetState()

While 1

Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
    EndSwitch

WEnd

Which shows that if you want to use the For...Next trick in the code I posted before, you have to make sure that your controls are created consecutively - if they are not you can run into all sorts of problems... >_<

M23

Spoiler

• Moderators

RAMMRODD,

Glad I could be of help.

M23

Spoiler