Windows Genuine Advantage Notification Killer

ludocus

Nice script ludocus >_<, might be a good idea putting the systems (ie XP...) it covers.

or putting code to prevent it being executed on systems it does not cover.

[Misinterpretation of usage]

@Datenshi

Cracking a windows distribution is a multi phase thing, this is just one of those phases.

Sure its in a grey area, but it is in the same market as a serial grabber.

And I am pretty sure I have seen one of those around the forums too.

interesting how this pans out.

[/Misinterpretation of usage]

Edited by Mobius

wtfpl-badge-1.png

mm yes, but the recent "serial grabber",i think it was something for Kaspersky AV products, that thread got squashed. I actually just went through the code quick and saw

$poisondllpath = @WindowsDir&'\System32\wgalogon.dll.poisoned'
$poisondll2path = @WindowsDir&'\System32\spmgs.poisoned'
$poisonexepath = @WindowsDir&'\System32\wgatray.exe.poisoned'

among other "poisoned" stuff, knowing it disables part of a product protection leads me to believe it'll get squashed as well.

I don't know all the steps to completely crack the windows protection, but i believe this will disable lockout if its not activated within 30days? It wont allow you to update over the net but it disables the lockout part. Am i wrong?

Anyway, I'm no moderator and its not for me to decide whether or not this script is ok, My intention was just to give a heads up.

Edited by Datenshi

No I was talking about the windows serial grabber that is on the forums, not the recent KAV key finder.

But you are quite right, entirely up to the mods or the end user to decide if it has a place or not >_<

Vlad

Ed: Lol, read a little further into the code than just the top values, poisoning is in fact a file move /rename operation... **

Edited by Mobius

wtfpl-badge-1.png

thnx mobius

and yeh, I just thought poisoning sounded cool..

And Datenshi, this script won't make windows genuine lock down your computer after 30 days -.-

I didn't mean the script would lock down the computer, Windows does if you don't activate within 30days after it starts nagging you Edited by Datenshi

I didn't mean the script would lock down the computer, Windows does if you don't activate within 30days after it starts nagging you

I know what you mean and I say windows doesn't lock down your computer..

I know what you mean and I say windows doesn't lock down your computer..

"Activation is required in 30 days from the first day that you start Windows XP. If you want to activate Windows on a day that is later than the day that you install it, a Windows Activation icon appears in the notification area. This icon periodically displays notifications to remind you about how much time remains before you must activate. After the 30 days has expired, you must activate Windows to continue using Windows."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

I have a hunch that this is less of a grey area than one would think. Since our esteemed leader is employed by MS there could be problems with this.

I have code (I can dig it out later) that creates backups of the 2 wpa files required and as long as it's a situation where Windows has broken it's own activation (common) then it will fix the problem I've only had to run it against 2 systems but it worked and it's not violating anything.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Guys, this just removes Windows Genuine Advantage Notification. It's a nag-tool that runs on startup, collects some information and calls home to make sure you are valid. If you're not, it will nag. If you are, well, it's wasting system resources. I accidentally installed this once via Windows Update and had to manually remove it (on a licensed install, no less). I've since hidden it from Windows Update to prevent that accident from happening again. It is not a required part of Windows Genuine Advantage and is not used to circumvent proper activation. All the script does is remove an annoying tool Microsoft doesn't offer an uninstaller for.

Edit: The above being said, I just renamed the thread title to make it less knee-jerk "OMG hack tools". This tool simply removes Windows Genuine Advantage Notification which is a very key distinction from what I suspect many of you took from the title.

Edited by Valik

Thanks Valik and I should have noticed that distinction. My bad.

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

• 3 months later...

After a long time living in the past, I decided it's about time I updated both software and hardware. After installing and activating a genuine copy of XP Pro, doing everything by the book, I got this Windows Genuine Advantage Notification installation message after the first update. Now after reading this thread I am quite reluctant to install it. The question I have is this: How will NOT installing WGA affect MS Updates?

It will affect updates and your ability to download certain software from MS. If indeed your copy is Genuine then there are trouble-shooting proceedures you can use and a couple of patches that may not have installed properly.

First, start by going to this page and running the diagnosis to see what has failed, if anything.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

Then report back with the results.

George

It will affect updates and your ability to download certain software from MS. If indeed your copy is Genuine then there are trouble-shooting proceedures you can use and a couple of patches that may not have installed properly.

First, start by going to this page and running the diagnosis to see what has failed, if anything.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

Then report back with the results.

Ok I haven't done that yet because I know that the following two criteria probably won't be met.

#4 If the Microsoft Genuine Advantage plug-ins load correctly

#5 If the Microsoft Genuine Advantage plug-ins are able to successfully connect to the validation servers

The reason is I renamed the folder containing the installation files until I made a decision. I just wanted people's opinion on whether to install it or not. I guess I might as well just do it. Thanks for the advice. Please don't think that I don't appreciate it. :)

Edited by czardas

And assumably it passed.

George