Polynomials functions

Mat

I have a plan for a large extension to my quadratic solver... And heres the work so far!

In mathematics, a polynomial is an expression of finite length constructed from variables (also known as indeterminates) and constants, using only the operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and non-negative, whole-number exponents. For example, x2 − 4x + 7 is a polynomial, but x2 − 4/x + 7x3/2 is not, because its second term involves division by the variable x and because its third term contains an exponent that is not a whole number.

Polynomials appear in a wide variety of areas of mathematics and science. For example, they are used to form polynomial equations, which encode a wide range of problems, from elementary word problems to complicated problems in the sciences; they are used to define polynomial functions, which appear in settings ranging from basic chemistry and physics to economics and social science; they are used in calculus and numerical analysis to approximate other functions. In advanced mathematics, polynomials are used to construct polynomial rings, a central concept in abstract algebra and algebraic geometry.

Current functions:

;_Polynomial_Add

;_Polynomial_Check

;_Polynomial_Div

;_Polynomial_Factorise

;_Polynomial_Format

;_Polynomial_GetMaxIndex

;_Polynomial_GetValues

;_Polynomial_IsRoot

;_Polynomial_Mul

;_Polynomial_Sort

;_Polynomial_Sub

;_Polynomial_ToHtml

;_Polynomial_ToRtf

Download link: Polynomial.zip

(NB: Not all have examples atm)

Mat

Edited by Mat

It is an excellent start. However, I found a minor problem. I know it has not been coded yet but I thought I would point it out.

3x^(5+1x)+3 returns ""

This is still a great script and I look forward to updates. :D

Interesting idea, it would somewhat cripple the way the script works with arrays though...

must be in the form ax^2+bx+c, ax^3+bx^2+cx+d etc. depending on the order of the polynomial. I could try and get the regexp pattern to match brackets if they are used... but that will be quite difficult as i'm now looking at functions for expanding a factorised equation etc, and so depend on bracket detection.

I have already written several more functions for this so no doubt it will be updated soon.

Mat

Updated!!!

Lots of functions added:

* _Polynomial_Add

* _Polynomial_Div

* _Polynomial_Factorise

* _Polynomial_IsRoot

* _Polynomial_Mul

* _Polynomial_Sub

Factorise being the most important of these, and also the one that ended up the best. Before (in the quadratic solver) I was comparing all the factors of a and b to test, When in fact you only need to test the factors of C. The div function also worked out pretty well, and I managed to get it working first guessing at what to do...

Mat