ConsoleRead

DaveF

I have a working implementation of ConsoleRead as discussed in the Idea Lab forum.

Briefly, this would add a way for an compiled AutoIt parent script and a compiled AutoIt child script to pass information to each other while they ran seperately.

It was a fairly easy hack with the existing code base; StdoutRead and StderrRead are identical but for the pipe that they read from, so under-the-covers they both call the same utility function that does all the work. I had hoped to just tweak the utility function enough to be able to read from AutoIt's STDIN pipe, too, but I ended up taking the opportunity to change some things that I felt would need changing eventually (and fixed a potential bug as well).

As such, I'll upload the code files as soon as possible, but (as a good citizen of the AutoIt community) I also need to make an AutoIt script that leverages the new and changed code and submit that as well for detection of code regression.

Yes yes yes, there it was. Youth must go, ah yes. But youth is only being in a way like it might be an animal. No, it is not just being an animal so much as being like one of these malenky toys you viddy being sold in the streets, like little chellovecks made out of tin and with a spring inside and then a winding handle on the outside and you wind it up grrr grrr grrr and off it itties, like walking, O my brothers. But it itties in a straight line and bangs straight into things bang bang and it cannot help what it is doing. Being young is like being like one of these malenky machines.

• 1 year later...

This post seem to exist from soooooo long ago...

Any progress on the ConsoleRead function? Even in the newest beta it states: ";Example to be provided by DaveF"

I'm still very interrested in inter-process communication made easy :)

(Or are there other documented tricks I can use? I couldn't find any :s)

My active project(s): A-maze-ing generator (generates a maze)

My archived project(s): Pong3 (Multi-pinger)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Developers

Still nothing? Is it hard, or is the question just plain to stupid? (I get that a lot irl :) <- Edit: Supposed to be a wink. again...)

You know it works since you replied here ... so what is the question ?

Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Yeah, but that's piping some data to an process even before it starts.

What I'd like to see is what this tread was created for:

Briefly, this would add a way for an compiled AutoIt parent script and a compiled AutoIt child script to pass information to each other while they ran seperately.

My active project(s): A-maze-ing generator (generates a maze)

My archived project(s): Pong3 (Multi-pinger)