_WMI_GetATAPISmartData v1.01

ripdad

Thanks for taking a look...

Supporting drivedb.h seems logical to me, as this db is updated by the smartmontools team anyway, and it can be freely downloaded...even a simple autoupdater could be integrated to download

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/export/HEAD/trunk/smartmontools/drivedb.h

Edited by Allow2010

@ripdad,

Ok, I'm in front of the pc in question. It has 2 drives.

The stats are as follows:

Drive Model R/C POH Raw POH PowerCycles Start/Stop H/W ECC recovered Temp Date code

c: ST3500418AS 1134 10172 39 + 188 231 231 41293 37C 09523

e: ST3500630A 0 20052 78 + 84 230 1353 41265 44C 08073

R/C is reallocated sectors count

Raw POH is no. of cycles + raw/value

I find it quite interesting that the older drive as determined by the date code printed on the drive seems to be in better shape than the newer drive. Just goes to show that you can't predict the performance.

BTW, this is my work pc at one site where I am 1-2 days each school week. The pc gets powered off most days. I'll keep an eye on those POH figures today and see if it appears to increment at the expected 1 count per real time hour.

@Allow2010,

Yes, the drivedb.h file could be downloaded auto and parsed etc. I think ripdad has already said that that is not in his plans. You are free to do that if you like I'm sure. BTW, I'll post my mod'ed script with the GUI a little later today when I get some updated POH data on this pc.

Edit: a couple of hours later and the POH counters have incremented by 2 as expected.

Edit2: @Allow2010,

I've attached the code I mentioned that puts a GUI around ripdad's base SMART code. No biggie.

SMARTInfo5a.au3

Edited by 4Eyes

4Eyes,

Inserting #RequireAdmin at the top of your script will probably make the "access denies" go away.

I was looking at your stats for the model ST3500418AS. Looks like trouble with the reallocated sectors.

Nice script by the way. Noticed that you had some trouble with fixed and usb drives. Did you have any errors?

I will be updating soon to make some minor changes. So, if you noticed something in the script you were having

trouble with, please let me know. Thanks.

---

Allow2010,

My decision at post #51...

This will be about as far as I'm willing to go with this project, without building a database on vendors and models,

lest it turn into a full-time job.

still stands, even after looking at drivedb.h, which is quite informative.

If anyone wants to take the script to that level, you have my blessings!

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

ripdad,

In the several different environments where I work I have full admin priv's and UAC turned off. Never struck an issue with client pc's yet either but yes, point taken.

"some trouble with fixed and usb drives", um... no. My WD USB drive doesn't want to co-operate and it's the only one I have access to on a regular basis so I just don't test for them. In my work as a computer tech I'm more interested in the internal drives. Although, now that you've made me think about it, I might have another look.

[Edit] O I C... left a bunch of comments in. Oops. :) Really meant to leave your original code alone, now I see that I changed to test for fixed drives. Hmmm... running your original code alone shows what probably led me to that initially, with my external USB hdd and a flash drive plugged in, it sees neither, which is no biggie, but... I assume as I already said, the WD external doesn't support SMART.

Yes, on paper that drive with all the reallocated sectors looks in poor shape. It has a bunch of Ghost images on it but I think there a backup copy anyway.

Thanks for the nice script comment but it's just a simple GUI wrapper around your original work that does the heavy lifting. SMART has always seemed so useful to me but I could never understand it. Now that I understand about the 'cycle' counters it makes a lot of sense. But the good sense is then undone by manufacturers that have to bastardise the standard but records minutes or seconds instread of hours. Ok, maybe hours is a little coarse but without a 3rd counter it would wrap around really quickly. They should just leave it alone or wait for an update of the standard.

Edited by 4Eyes

4Eyes,

They should just leave it alone or wait for an update of the standard.

Agreed, but... not much we little people can do about it.

I'm glad people are getting some use of this script.

Couldn't do it without feedback from forum members.

And.... you can blame or thank ricky03 for getting me into this project in the first place!

Please let me know if anyone has problems or questions with this last update.

Thanks.

Edited by ripdad

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

Allow2010,

Attribute 187: Columns 3 and 4 have the error bit set to 1. Thats a critical error. Column 13: Total is 923.

Attribute 190: Temperature has never been above 29C. Very good.

Attribute 197,198: The count in column 13, (2) is too small to trigger an event.

Every drive is different, but I'd say that not enough parameters have hit their thresholds for a "PredictFailure" event.

---

By the way, I found something you can do to allow SMART some time to scan the drive properly.

Usually, Operating Systems have the hard drive too busy to get a thorough scan.

At POST, thats when you see the Logo of the vendor who made your PC upon "power up",

press the pause button to make it stay there. SMART will take advantage of this time.

Wait about an hour, then hit your space bar to continue booting.