Problem manipulating a WinForms application

Ah yes, thanks. I added the parenthesis and it executed without error (took about 3s to run). However, it did not modify the edit field.

I am using AutoIt version v3.3.12.0.

I'll go about generating that log file after I close down a bunch of windows and I will edit this post with that when I am done.

New UDF / Work in progress added to first post in uiautomation thread but not likely it will fix your problem

I downloaded some samples from http://www.bcgsoft.com/samples/samples.htm but all works fine with simplespy.au3

Can you post a screenshot of the application?

Is it a downloadable executable from internet so I can try?

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying, I've been sidetracked to some other work recently, but I will get back on this shortly.

The application is custom made, though we have full control of the source and can modify the application if needed. We would ideally prefer to automate the UI instead of using a command line tool, as we want to mimic the actions of an end-user as close as possible. I can attach a screenshot of the application:

HM9kglC.png

I am trying to change the port number.

In response to your other message - when I tried running the script, no elements were highlighted. I will work through the log and perhaps attach it to this thread.

as you have access to the source can you make a small dummy application and try to reproduce the crash?

If you have that attach the exe or we can mail so me and others can tell you if it crashes also on other system

Summarized:

1. As you say inspect.exe works it proofes stuff can work

2. Simplespy crashing is weird but all I can think of is bitness or protection in the application however as you say spy works on other applications like calc.exe, notepad.exe this seems to be contradicting

3. Check if the log.txt gives clues as thats not using elementFromPoint

4. Suggest to write an example on IUIAutomation within the language you use assuming its C# or C++.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee671202(v=vs.85).aspx

all to proof if you use another language if it breaks yes/no

• 2 weeks later...

could crash be to depth of the element you are looking at (more then 10 (grand)parents)

see '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>> where you can see how to fix the spy to be able to have a deeper depth.

edit: I can reproduce on my system and its indeed the 10 and 9 in the source. Will increase that to higher in simplespy

Edited by junkew