Welcome to AutoIt 1-2-3

Valuater

Ok, I see what the problem is, Step 1 wants you to download the 3 things, which I already had downloaded thus skipped this step, step 2 won't work as I didn't do step 1 because I already had done step 1 before downloading 1-2-3 and didn't want to do it again. Is there a work around for this? for instance where should I place the unzipped files so they'll see that I already did step 1?

Is Beep supposed to be from the internal speaker? if not it isn't working for me. Win7x64

Ok, get to exam 2 and realize that what's happening is the GUI size isn't correct so the words are wrapping to the next line, which is hiding the text. I can't read all of the questions from exam 2.

Questions 4- the last one cut off everything after the a or an so I can't even begin to guess what the answers are.

Tried adjusting screen rez this didn't work.

Edited by tigerray00

Thanks tiger,

I just downloaded the prog and went straight to "step 2" that states "Show Me SciTE - Editor" and I clicked that button.

It opened SciTE and Showed me the cammands.... It worked fine. However the "Show Me - Search Help" did not work for me. I can see that these were made for the BETA that was always available before.

The Help portion needs fixed.

Most people think that the commands are supposed to "run". They are not intended to run and this is not an error.

The Beep is internal.

Hope that helps.

8)

Edited by Valuater

NEWHeader1.png

Hello.

Can anybody please direct me to how to use AutoIT 1-2-3 ?

When I click on the 'Shoe Me Help Demos' button, then select a demo and click on the 'Run Demo' button,

I get only the following message: "Beta could not be found".

Can somebody please explain to me how to get this working?

Thank-you.

Edit: After uninstalling ALL Autoit-related files and removing registry references, rebooting and re-installing 1-2-3, AutoIt, SCITE and the Beta version, 1-2-3 is now working properly.

.... One of life's (and computing's) mysteries.

I just downloaded Autoit 1-2-3. and found that the link to Autoit Beta works.

Yes, the link to AutoIt Beta works. I have installed it.

Did you use the actual steps 1, 2, 3?

It works

8)

Er.. it doesn't for me. Why is it necessary to perform the steps in sequence? I already had AutoIt, Scite, and 1-2-3 installed and working.

Now that I have 'renewed' everything, it doesn't. Back to the drawing board, as they say.

Cheers.

Edited by wreckage

Edit: After uninstalling ALL Autoit-related files and removing registry references, rebooting and re-installing 1-2-3, AutoIt, SCITE and the Beta version, 1-2-3 is now working properly.

.... One of life's (and computing's) mysteries.

Cheers.

Glad to see... "Back to the drawing board, as they say" worked for you

8).

NEWHeader1.png

• 4 months later...

Is there AutoIt tutorial that tells how to do stuff? That one is just tests. Or maybe learning will be at the end.

There is also a list of tutorials in the wiki

• 2 months later...

Is there a update to this great program? I just installed the program yesterday and did the examples and need to learn more. However every "lesson" here is full of errors as it must have been written for a old version.

[/color][/indent]
[indent=1][color=#ff0000][color=#ff0000]"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.exe" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Tryit\Autoit_123\Lessons\Lesson-4.au3" /UserParams   
+>14:28:48 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.2.1.0.8    Environment(Language:0409  Keyboard:00000409  OS:WIN_7/Service Pack 1  CPU:X64 OS:X64)
>Running AU3Check (1.54.22.0)  from:C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3
+>14:28:48 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.3.8.1):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Tryit\Autoit_123\Lessons\Lesson-4.au3"   
C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Tryit\Autoit_123\Lessons\Lesson-4.au3 (488) : ==> Array variable subscript badly formatted.:
$currentType = $tip[$ref - 4101]
$currentType = $tip[^ ERROR
->14:28:52 AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:1
>Exit code: 1    Time: 5.151[/color][/color]
 [/indent]
[color=#ff0000]

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think there's an error. I've done step 1 and installed AutoItv3, then installed the beta version, then the SciTE editor. When I start step 2 and clicked on "Show Me SciTE - Editor" button. I get the error

Line 18 (File "...AutoIt_123LessonsLesson-1.au3"):

If, And, Or, Then, Next, While, Wend.

If, And, Or, Then, Next, While, Wend^ERROR

Error: Missing separator character after keyword.

I so new with this syntax, that I don't know what's going here. Have I missed a step or something?

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Two things... and I'm not intending to offend anyone or hurt their feelings/ego.

First, IMHO, it is never a good idea to require noobs to install and use BETA software, as is the case with this tutorial.

If you are trying to teach someone, e.g. a noob, how to use something, shouldn't it be on the latest stable version, so you don't introduce possible beta-related bugs, and/or features not available in the stable version they will (or should) ultimately be using until they get familiar with the software?

Second, the latest version of this tutorial is fairly old, and not rev'd for the current stable --and beta-- versions of AutoIt.  Because of that, it does not completely work.  I ended up just opening all the tutorial scripts with SciTE and running the ones that would work.  The test for the first set of tutorials almost worked, but none of the others did.  I've since uinstalled the beta (and removed AutoIt 1-2-3 because it was both unhelpful and frustrating).

IMHO, it seems like pretty much everything that is in AutoIt 1-2-3 is already on the website in the FAQ's, Snippets, and Tutorials; and what's not you can get in these forums.  So, for that, AutoIt 1-2-3 seems redundant (and irrelevant since it's fairly dated material).

Again, I'm sorry if I offend anyone with this, that is not my intention.

tk

• Moderators

I have to disagree with your first point. With the BETA becoming stronger all the time, I think it is silly not to use it. As it runs concurrently with the stable version, it isn't as though people are locked into using it. And which is worse for a "noob"? Giving them access to the software that will soon be the stable version, or keeping to the old version (as you mentioned outdated) so that - just as they obtain a level of familiarity with it, they then have to turn around and relearn it all? Isn't it worthwhile to show them the way that will be standard in the first place?

As for the tutorial being old and out of date, I don't think you have a fair idea of the work that goes into updating such a program (or the other efforts long-time members are now involved in). If you do feel you could update it, I'm sure Valuator would let you give it a shot :)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!