Welcome to AutoIt 1-2-3

Valuater

Tell me what software (other than AutoIt 1-2-3) you have ever seen that requires noobs (aka newbee, new users, etc.) to learn how to use it on a beta version (regardless of if it works concurrently)?  There's a reason no one does this.  I would expect that you know beta means NOT release, means some features MAY be removed (or added) when released, means there may be bugs that may get fixed, etc.

As to the comment that I don't have a fair idea of the work that goes into it, you are mistaken.

It's very obvious and anyone can see that this was a very large undertaking, and the work entailed in keeping up to date is no small feat either.  That does NOT mean I appreciate the work that went into it any less.

Seriously, asking a user new to AutoIt to update something like this?  Must be a joke.

I'm not trying to bruise your ego, I'm only putting in my $.02 that the time I put in trying to use it in it's current form I could have better spent reading more of the forums, help, etc. which already seem to have all of the same information.  Don't get me wrong (again), I think the initial idea of AutoIt 1-2-3 was a fantastic one and I was looking forward to using it to learn AutoIt.

I've only been using AutoIt for a couple weeks, you've undoubtedly been using it since at least 2009, so I'm probably wrong.  I'm ok with that.

Please understand:  My perspective is from the target audience of AutoIt 1-2-3  ...a new user, not someone that has been using it for 4 or more years.

You cannot disagree though, that a month ago someone above me asked if this was still usable.  No one had the bandwidth to answer them.

tk

What examples require the beta? This was written LONG before any of the current beta versions had been released.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

What examples require the beta? This was written LONG before any of the current beta versions had been released.

It won't let you go past the first part where you dl and install AutoIt, the Beta, and maybe a third thing? if you don't dl and install them (including the beta).  I tried, because I didn't want the beta version.

tk

I've never run this before, although I just tried it, and you don't need the beta to run it or any of the demos as far as I can tell.

This tutorial is in need of an update though.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Actually, now that I check, on this computer I do have the beta installed in the normal install location. Sorry, thought this one didn't have it.

That's a little irritating, especially considering this was written about 5 versions ago and the beta that's out now is nothing like the beta from back in 2007.

• Moderators

Tell me what software (other than AutoIt 1-2-3) you have ever seen that requires noobs (aka newbee, new users, etc.) to learn how to use it on a beta version (regardless of if it works concurrently)?  There's a reason no one does this.  I would expect that you know beta means NOT release, means some features MAY be removed (or added) when released, means there may be bugs that may get fixed, etc.

As to the comment that I don't have a fair idea of the work that goes into it, you are mistaken.

It's very obvious and anyone can see that this was a very large undertaking, and the work entailed in keeping up to date is no small feat either.  That does NOT mean I appreciate the work that went into it any less.

Seriously, asking a user new to AutoIt to update something like this?  Must be a joke.

I'm not trying to bruise your ego, I'm only putting in my $.02 that the time I put in trying to use it in it's current form I could have better spent reading more of the forums, help, etc. which already seem to have all of the same information.  Don't get me wrong (again), I think the initial idea of AutoIt 1-2-3 was a fantastic one and I was looking forward to using it to learn AutoIt.

I've only been using AutoIt for a couple weeks, you've undoubtedly been using it since at least 2009, so I'm probably wrong.  I'm ok with that.

Please understand:  My perspective is from the target audience of AutoIt 1-2-3  ...a new user, not someone that has been using it for 4 or more years.

You cannot disagree though, that a month ago someone above me asked if this was still usable.  No one had the bandwidth to answer them.

tk

We can agree to disagree :) I do not say that this tutorial doesn't need an update; it does. However, I think including the BETA functionality is worthwhile to give someone an idea of what will soon be production.

As for bruising my ego, this is not my work so worry not about that.

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sadly I cannot even start as I have placed all my program files on drive D.

There is a good reason for this.

This doesn't seem to be accessible to the tutorial.

Would it be possible to set up the tutorial to allow you point it to a previously installed autoit and editor?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Downloading from the link in BrewManNH's post right above yours worked just fine. Please try again; there may have been some forum work going on over the weekend.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...