What Command Do I Use To See If The Highlighted Text Is True Or False?

My script scrolls through the Windows Address Book contacts and goes to the "Other" tab for each contact and does a !G to highlight the Group Membership box. This box cannot be edited here but just highlights whatever is in there so I can focus on it as the script goes by quite quickly. Rather than sit there for an hour... what command can I give the script to abort if "My Group Name" is not highlighted or the box is empty?

Thanks in advance.

.. what command can I give the script to abort if "My Group Name" is not highlighted or the box is empty?

uh... Exit() ?

BTW, Why on earth would you start out learning on an obsolete version of AutoIT?

Edited by flyingboz

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

• 2 weeks later...

uh... Exit() ?

BTW, Why on earth would you start out learning on an obsolete version of AutoIT?

Thanks. I think my question should have been, (if possible) "how does autoit know if the Group Membership box is empty"? Or if ^a highlighted anything at all? Can autoit know if ^a has highlighted anything (true/false)?

Guess I still use v2 because my needs are very basic and support dos pointofsale programs.

Same reason why I still use msdos, win98 and w2k; they just work.

I wouldn't call it obsolete as v2 does work, but I will have a peek at v3.

MS can kiss my a$$ and so can (hasta la)Vista.

Hello DesktopBSD!

Regards.

Thanks. I think my question should have been, (if possible) "how does autoit know if the Group Membership box is empty"? Or if ^a highlighted anything at all? Can autoit know if ^a has highlighted anything (true/false)?

you have to read the control - and then test the value. if you can simulate copy/paste, then you could use ClipGet() and StringLen() to test and branch accordingly.
If StringLen(ClipGet()) = 0 Then Skip

BTW, Obsolete does not mean nonfunctional. A slide rule still works... Most of us use other computing devices, however. A horse will still take you across the country. Most of us choose to fly or drive. WRT older O/S and applications, if they work great for you, great. But very few people (comparatively speaking) could help you learn how to use a slide rule, while many, many people can use a calculator or computer. So, if you have questions and need help, your chances of getting a response quickly improves when you are using current technologies.

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

In V2 you can manipulate only windows,

in V3 you can manipulate windows or directly controls like treeview/listview/...

So for your problem is really better to use Autoit V3.

Got your coffee yet Zedna :D , nevermind the fact that the post is 4 months old, if you searched his name you would see, he made the switch :Dhttp://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...02entry169002

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Got your coffee yet Zedna :D , nevermind the fact that the post is 4 months old, if you searched his name you would see, he made the switch :Phttp://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...533;entry169002

@SmOke_N

I know it's very old :D but you never know ...

Because I'm still sometimes using also V2 along with main V3 Autoit,

I was looking for some "V2 exercise" in this V2 support forum,

where I could help somebody with something in V2...

• Moderators

@SmOke_N

I know it's very old :D but you never know ...

Because I'm still sometimes using also V2 along with main V3 Autoit,

I was looking for some "V2 exercise" in this V2 support forum,

where I could help somebody with something in V2...

Really?

I'm curious on why you would do that, is there functionality in V2 that V3 doesn't have that can't be recreated in V3?

I've never played with V2 so this is a serious question.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Really?

I'm curious on why you would do that, is there functionality in V2 that V3 doesn't have that can't be recreated in V3?

I've never played with V2 so this is a serious question.

Reasons for use V2 sometimes:

1) EXE size is about 45 KB (instead of 200 KB in V3)

2) in trivial scripts like Run, WinWait, Send is syntax very similar

3) some of my friends knows only V2

Have fun with Autoit V2 and V3 :D