Decompile

GEOSoft

If a file is inside a compiled script by way of FileInstall() does that file get extracted during a decompile or is it just lost to eternity? I'm asking because I have an idea for security.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

If a file is inside a compiled script by way of FileInstall() does that file get extracted during a decompile or is it just lost to eternity? I'm asking because I have an idea for security.

decompile just extract the script not the fileinstall file :P

decompile just extract the script not the fileinstall file :P

Great!! That's what I was hoping for. Security is no longer a problem with decompiled scripts then. All its going to take is a 4 line compiled script FileInstalled().

It's almost 3AM in my part of the world so tomorrow I'll put together a short example for you to try and PM it to you.

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

Great!! That's what I was hoping for. Security is no longer a problem with decompiled scripts then. All its going to take is a 4 line compiled script FileInstalled().

It's almost 3AM in my part of the world so tomorrow I'll put together a short example for you to try and PM it to you.

at least non AutoiT mechanism can extract those files ...

Anyone with a hex editor, and a decompressor and some time can hack out the files.

The trick is going to be whats in the file.

I thought I was going to have time to get this done but well made plans never come together.

George

Would be easier to just run the program and with FileMonitor see where the files are being saved :P

The file will only be there for a few millisecs.

George

i've had an idea similar to this, are you trying to make 2 autoit files one that run another?

example:

"important information.au3" is compiled into "Important Information.exe"

then a script that uses file install compiles said file into another .exe so when decompiled, all you get is the few lines of code that install the file, not the file itself...

The file will only be there for a few millisecs.

Unless you're going to overwrite the file on hdd with some random stuff you can be sure that it's gonna be easly retrivable from HDD (after deletion). I'm not trying to kill your thinking but it has some flaws. Also when you know what you are doing you can prolly set a trap on a dir so if anything gets written to that particular dir.. can't be deleted or so :P

My little company: Evotec (PL version: Evotec)