unicode question

Why do you have to compile the executible in ansi and unicode.. Would it be possible to compile for both using if conditions?

if osverion >= winnt then
   unicode mode
else
  ansi mode
endif

Is unicode a library and Why does it not work for win9x, I think it need backwords compatibility. Some insight would be nice.

Don't bother, It's inside your monitor!------GUISetOnEvent should behave more like HotKeySet()

• Administrators

Why do you have to compile the executible in ansi and unicode.. Would it be possible to compile for both using if conditions?

if osverion >= winnt then
   unicode mode
else
  ansi mode
endif

Is unicode a library and Why does it not work for win9x, I think it need backwords compatibility. Some insight would be nice.

Different APIs under 9x and NT. The ANSI versions of the APIs are available under both, the uncode ones aren't. Oldver versions just used the ANSI APIs.

For example, the MessageBox API doesn't actually exist... It's called MessageBoxA (ANSI) and MessageBoxW (Unicode). A switch/directive in the compiler tells it which version to use when you type just MessageBox. Under NT MessageBoxA and MessageBoxW exist, under 9x only MessageBoxA exists.

• Administrators

When I look at documentation for unicode functions, I see a thing at the bottom that says there is something called the Microsoft layer for unicode. Is there no way to use that?

That's something you have to install on Windows 9x - it's not something you can assume is there. And not all the unicode functions are supplied even with that. So no :)