HTTP Disk GUI

ptrex

HTTP Disk GUI

Some time ago sone in the support forum was wondering if there was a virtual disk that could be formatted.

Well there are. But while looking in the Net, I ran into an other nice little cmd line tool called HTTPDisk

This tool is little does what it promisses and is easy to install.

- Copy the driver (httpdisk.sys) to %systemroot%system32drivers.

- Optionally edit httpdisk.reg for automatic or manual start and number of devices.

- Import httpdisk.reg to the Registry.

- Reboot.

-Use the program httpdisk.exe to mount and umount disk or CD images from a web server.

These days "Cloud Computing" is a hot topic.

Well this comes very close to what it called "Cloud Storage" ?!

Cloud storage is a model of networked data storage where data is stored on multiple virtual servers,

generally hosted by third parties, rather than being hosted on dedicated servers.

Hosting companies operate large data centers; and people who require their data to be hosted buy or

lease storage capacity from them and use it for their storage needs. The data center operators,

in the background, virtualize the resources according to the requirements of the customer and expose them as virtual servers,

which the customers can themselves manage. Physically, the resource may span across multiple servers.

In some services, such as Nirvanix, the system may span multiple data centers or even continents.

You can now share your data which might be located on a server anywhere in the world.

(Only read only at the moment.)

The good thing is, it is HTTP based so it will go through most firewalls that allow port 80 trafic.

But you can also host the ISO image on a webserver, with a different port and it will work as well.

Well the last tool that comes in handy, is one that let you create ISO images from Folders on you disk.

This one will ISO Recorder.

Both tools together will give you the flexibility to get to your data where ever you are. No VPN connections needed.

Handy if you want to listen to your MP3's, read your AU3 Scripts, view some Video's, share some Files, etc.

PS : I couldn't give the background of the ICON's a different color. Anyone have an idea on this ?

HTTP_Disk_Gui.au3

Enjoy,

ptrex

Edited by ptrex

But the purpose of the GUI, is that you don't have to use the commandline syntax

If so then there is one small bug with it:

The line

If  FileExists (@windowsdir & "\system32\drivers\httpdisk.sys") then

has be written like this, I think

If not FileExists (@windowsdir & "\system32\drivers\httpdisk.sys") then

btw I'm starting my AutoIt3 script with help the special file AutoIt3.iso. This ISO file has an AutoIt3 folder installed on my PC.

After changing association for *.au3 file from local folder's AutoIt3.exe to HTTP DISK's AutoIt3.exe you can use AutoIt3 script by this "edge" call.

I have question about rights (licenses) to start some MS tools by the same method?

Is it legal?

Thank you,

Valery

Edited by Valery

The point of world view

@Valery

Thanks for the feedback.

I must have uploaded a wrong version. :)

Updated first post.

Like you discovered yourself, there are multiple applications with this.

I have question about rights (licenses) to start some MS tools by the same method?

I don't think it is specified anywhere that you need to run a software from any local hardware?

MS themselves distribute MS Virtual PC and Server software. So this is kind a like that.

You run it from a virtual machine on a virtual drive.

The only limitation there still is, is that it is read only. Some Applications need Write Access to the files.

Still no one who can get rid of the ICO background color (make it transparent did't help ?).

Regards,

ptrex

• 3 years later...

Can someone update this script? It was written for Vista and XP SP1, and doesn't seem to work properly in current Win 7 64-bit and XP SP3. Useful GUI script though for a nice HTTPDisk driver that allows to mount locally and extract partially web linked disk and ISO downloads without downloading the whole file.

Here is the error message that pops-up when launching HTTPDisk GUI on Win 7 64-bit. I didn't test it in Win 7 32-bit, may be its the same. In WinXP 32-bit SP3 it says: "Remote resource is unaccessible" or similar, while HTTPDisk.exe works great from CP. Closing the error window closes the GUI. Meanwhile, HTTPDriver.exe works just fine on the same setup via CP, when the driver is registered with dseo13b.exe and the system is in Test Mode.

Also not sure, what these icons on the GUI are for? It might make sense to add some functions to these icons... :graduated:

Edited by sambul

@all,

Make sure you have installed the latest version on of the HTTPDisk driver compatible with Win 7

See instruction on how to install in the README.txt of the HTTPDisk download.

Also try adding this on top of the first line.

#RequireAdmin

PS :

- Not tested on my side yet.

- Icon only show the status of the connection process to the remote recource.

Rgds

Patrick

HTTPDisk 7 is the only version currently available. As to installation, term "improperly" doesn't apply to it when it comes to Win 7 64-bit, and is irrelevant here anyway, since HTTPDisk.exe does work well via Command Prompt in Win 7 64-bit, when the driver is signed by a 3-d party soft, and Test Mode is active. But your script doesn't work properly (only your script, not the driver) in Win 7 64-bit and also Win XP SP3 32-bit. I say it again, the driver works OK in these systems via CP. See this post for more details.

Edited by sambul