A desktop dir different then the normal?

I want to change which folder is displayed as the desktop. Usually (in Windows 7 at least) the desktop directory is C:\Users\<Name>\Desktop... however, I tried changing every previous version my desktop directory (found by searching for my current @DesktopDir in the registry) to a new folder in the registry but my actual desktop never changed at all. Does anyone have any ideas?

Edit: After I made the changes (and posted this) I tried logging off and logging back on. To my surprise the desktop was displaying the folder that I had changed instead of my original @DesktopDir... However, I need a way to activate this without logging off and logging back on. (Note: I tried refreshing the desktop with F5 but before logging off that didn't do anything except leave the same icons on the desktop.)

Edited by Achilles
My Programs[list][*]Knight Media Player[*]Multiple Desktops[*]Daily Comics[*]Journal[/list]

I want to change which folder is displayed as the desktop. Usually (in Windows 7 at least) the desktop directory is C:\Users\<Name>\Desktop... however, I tried changing every previous version my desktop directory (found by searching for my current @DesktopDir in the registry) to a new folder in the registry but my actual desktop never changed at all. Does anyone have any ideas?

Edit: After I made the changes (and posted this) I tried logging off and logging back on. To my surprise the desktop was displaying the folder that I had changed instead of my original @DesktopDir... However, I need a way to activate this without logging off and logging back on. (Note: I tried refreshing the desktop with F5 but before logging off that didn't do anything except leave the same icons on the desktop.)

Sometimes, by restarting ur explorer.exe gives the same effect as logoff.

Try to

ProcessClose("explorer.exe")
Sleep(1000)
Run("explorer.exe")

It's works for me at least...

Edited by slayerz

AUTOIT[sup] I'm lovin' it![/sup]

Sometimes, by restarting ur explorer.exe gives the same effect as logoff.

Try to

ProcessClose("explorer.exe")
Sleep(1000)
Run("explorer.exe")

It's works for me at least...

That seems to do what I want.. and it seems to be a fairly fast thing to do (at least on my computer)... thanks for that idea..
My Programs[list][*]Knight Media Player[*]Multiple Desktops[*]Daily Comics[*]Journal[/list]

• 1 month later...

That seems to do what I want.. and it seems to be a fairly fast thing to do (at least on my computer)... thanks for that idea..

Well, now using my 32bit windows 7 laptop it's not working.. odd how that is..

I made another topic about process close not working right on my laptop, but I can work around that.

I follow these steps, and I fail to see why it doesn't actually change the desktop icons being displayed:

• Run Task manager
  • Close explorer.exe
  • Set Registry setting for desktop to a different folder (RegWrite('HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders', 'Desktop'..)
  • Wait a few seconds
  • Using task manager start a new process called "explorer.exe"
  • and ideally all the icons being displayed are the ones in the new folder
  • but no...

This was working fine on my windows 7 64bit desktop, using the exact same steps above.. ugh, fate is going to make me rummage through my stuff and hook up my desktop..