My program: Selective Launch

blindwig

I wrote this program called Selective Launch. It takes a list of commands and puts them on a GUI with a checkbox next to each one and you can select which ones you want to run. It runs them sequentially, waiting for one to complete before starting another. It's kind of like running a batch file with the /Y option so you can confirm each line, but more andanved, and prettier! You can also set presets, that would select and unselect certain options.

This would be useful anytime you have programs that you want to launch selectively. For example, say you take your laptop to school, to work, and home. You want to run different combinations of programs depending on where you are, so you can't just put them all in your start-up. Instead, put the list of commands in my program and put my program in your start-up. Then you can set presets for those locations.

The program uses an INI file for settings, so it's pretty easy to use. I've included a sample INI with the program.

Have a look: any comments, bugs, suggestions, or reccomendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

The code isn't commented too well, and probably not completely optimized, but I try to use sensical function and variable names, so you should be able to figure it out.

SelectiveLaunch.zip

Edited by blindwig

Interesting idea.. Regarding your About Box halting the process you should use the [option] parameter so that it is only displayed for like 2 seconds.

All you need to make this a awesome script is to have a action & preset building modules. Also, have the ability to create hotkeys for each preset. This would make it really easy to make redundant typing a thing of the past..

Nice work...

Cheers.. :)

Interesting idea.. Regarding your About Box halting the process you should use the [option] parameter so that it is only displayed for like 2 seconds.

All you need to make this a awesome script is to have a action & preset building modules. Also, have the ability to create hotkeys for each preset. This would make it really easy to make redundant typing a thing of the past..

Nice work...

Cheers.. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the About box, the real solution is to avoid the msgbox funtion and just build a new form of my own, that way I have full control over it. I just haven't taken the time to do that, and just put the MsgBox in there as a temporary placeholder until I get something better.

Regarding a configuration generator - yeah, maybe someday. I tried to make the INI file as easy to understand as possible so it wouldn't be too hard to do by hand. If you want to try to make one, go ahead!

About the hotkeys - they're already in there. Use the windows hotkey standard - put an & before a letter in a preset name and that letter will be an ALT hotkey. The only ones you can't use are O and A since they're already in use (GO and About, respectively)

Again, thanks for the feedback!

This reminds me of an app. I wrote a while back, I use it for starting applications when I log on. I didn't like just filling up the StartUp folder, as it runs them all at once and really makes the system lag.

But yeah, for a simple example, just place the .exe in a folder with a bunch of shortcut files and open it up. The more advanced usage requires you make a shortcut to the .exe with some parameters.

You'd go like:

Target: "C:\Program Files\AutoStart\AutoStart.exe" 10 5

Start In: "C:\Program Files\AutoStart\Shortcuts"

And it would open the program, looking in the Start folder for the shortcuts to display. The 10 and 5 were a 10 second countdown when the app opens, and 5 second pause between each program run.

I've included the source and the .exe cus the script is from an old beta version of AutoIt (GuiRead, instead of GuiCtrlRead, etc.), so it won't run through the interpreter.

The .exe should decompile fine if you want to check it just to be safe.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the About box, the real solution is to avoid the msgbox funtion and just build a new form of my own, that way I have full control over it.  I just haven't taken the time to do that, and just put the MsgBox in there as a temporary placeholder until I get something better.

Regarding a configuration generator - yeah, maybe someday.  I tried to make the INI file as easy to understand as possible so it wouldn't be too hard to do by hand.  If you want to try to make one, go ahead!

About the hotkeys - they're already in there.  Use the windows hotkey standard - put an & before a letter in a preset name and that letter will be an ALT hotkey.  The only ones you can't use are O and A since they're already in use (GO and About, respectively)

Again, thanks for the feedback!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About Box, it will be interesting to see what you come up with for the solution.

INI file, I will give it a try. I have seen some good code that might accomplish this task. :)

Hotkeys, I did not notice the Hotkey-Underlining of any of the presets. I see it for O & A but nothing else. Plus the hotkeys I am refering to are the statement, HotKeySet("!^P", "Preset1"). I see the use of executing your stored preset using a hotkey reference.

Also, I have taken a look at your MWR_??.au3 files, very nice work I must say. I just took a brief look at them but they will come in handy for other projects.. :D

Cheers.. :evil: