Reading text from a YM window?

I think all of you(us) are familiar with Yahoo Messenger(I'm using beta 7, but I think the version doesn't matter)..

Now, the problem is that I am trying to read text from a conversation window..and I'm utterly failing :whistle:..

>>>>>>>>>>> Control Under Mouse <<<<<<<<<<<

Size:  X: 3    Y: 95    W: 818    H: 206

Control ID: 107902672

ClassNameNN: YHTMLContainer1

Text: 

Style:  0x56010000

ExStyle:  0x00000200

>>>>>>>>>>> Status Bar Text <<<<<<<<<<<

(1):

>>>>>>>>>>> Visible Window Text <<<<<<<<<<<

Arial

&Send

Call

According to Window info, Classname is YHTMLContainer1..problem is that it won't notice any text..ControlGetText doesn't work either..and I'm kind of stuck..Does anyone have ideas?

Yahoo Messenger, click "Get the beta" to download

I'd really appreciate help on this topic since I've tried everything I know, and I can't seem to work it out..thanx..

Together we might liveDivided we must fall

Sounds like a custom control to me and according to the help file:

Note: AutoIt only works with standard Microsoft controls - some applications write their own custom controls which may look like a standard MS control but may resist automation. Experiment!

Also, Au3Info hasn't picked up the text in your window and it uses the same detection engine as AutoIt, so I think you might be out of luck.

You may have better luck if you use something like Miranda IM, which if I remember correctly uses standard Microsoft controls. You also have the added bonus of being able to use other messenger protocols within that one program, which is good for a couple reasons.

• Moderators

If the above doesn't work, can you use ClipPut(), then copy to a .txt file, and parse from there? Just an idea.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

If the above doesn't work, can you use ClipPut(), then copy to a .txt file, and parse from there?  Just an idea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'd still have to be able to call some sort of parameter or ControlID... which is kind of the problem we're having with this. I could be wrong, but that's my take on it. I tried for about 5 hours with MSN... I used anything and everything that contained "Get" "Send" and any variation of those words.

I was thinking though... I believe that the chat portion of both IM clients run through a dll... at the very least you might be able to call the right integer and be able to send text... but I still see copying text as being a problem.

I could be wrong.

"... and the Lord said to John, "Come forth and ye shall receive eternal life," but instead John came fifth and won a toaster."

I can't copy the text in the window..with ClipPut()..Because it's not being detected..Damn..why am I getting the impression this can't be solved without some "YHTML" reading tool?:whistle:..I mean..some of the devs try and make a nice lil addon to AutoIt so it can read custom controls?

@LxP Regarding your post at http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14453

If this is really important to you then you could take my suggestion to try out another program that supports the MSN protocol such as Trillian (which natively supports what you're trying to do) or Miranda IM (which I believe uses standard text controls). I personally use Gaim for my messaging needs but it doesn't use standard controls or appear to natively offer what you want.

Trillian AFAIK doesn't natively support text recognition..yea..it has automation..but very basic..such as.."IF RECEIVED "TEXT" THEN FUNCTION;"..But no variable support, nothing..which leaves much to be desired..because checking for each string is a pain in the arse..and the string that is received can't be passed on to another program..anyway..Trillian can't be used..I don't know about Miranda IM..I'm fine with Trillian..Darn..doesn't work either..Just thought of a way to get the text received..but that's just another YHTMLContainer..:PP..Last bet, decrypt logs, and extract text..now if I can only figure out the encryption scheme.. Edited by VicTT

Last bet, decrypt logs, and extract text..now if I can only figure out the encryption scheme..

Or you could just do the easy thing and use Miranda! :whistle:

I remember wanting to do something similar to this at some point, but I found that I much preferred Gaim's usability over Miranda's, and that is what matters since IMs are designed for using by humans. :dance:

You haven't been too specific regarding what you want to do with the text but it sounds like perhaps a Telnet server is better suited for the job.

Alternatively with the TCP functions found in AutoIt's beta you could probably program an alternate interface allowing you to communicate remotely with your computer.

Personally I find VNC a very effective way of getting things done.

Yes, I just use the window commands of select all and copy to move text from a yahoo messenger window and paste it to my translator. Also I do the reverse. If I type a line in my translator in english it will give me an output in another language and then paste it in a messenger window. :whistle:

You may use wingetpos and then move the mouse pointer over the relative position of the YHMTLContainer1 . Do a mouseclick left when it is in position, and then use select all and copy. Dont forget to do another mouseclick left in control 225 to get the cursor going in the outgoing box right afterwards. This may not be what you are looking for..but this is how i get my text. :whistle: