Learning to Script with AutoIt 3

LxP

Latest version: February 13, 2006

After seeing a few requests on the forums for help learning how to use AutoIt (and after receiving a few PMs too) I decided to start working on a document that tries to teach this. All feedback is highly encouraged.

This document is for you if you are interested in learning to script with AutoIt, as the title implies. It tries to assume no prior coding experience and it aims to teach some good general coding habits as well, which will be beneficial should you decide to move on to other languages.

This document is nowhere near complete -- I need feedback in order to come close. What do you feel needs more or better explanation? Have I failed to cover something adequately or perhaps even at all?

script_with_autoit.pdf.....(Previous versions had 124 + 1037 = 1161 downloads)

If you have trouble viewing the PDF in your browser, please first download it by right-clicking the link and selecting Save Link As... or similar and then launch it separately from your browser.

Edited by LxP

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A very worthwhile project and well worth continuing.

Keep up the good work. :P

Edit

You could be heading for another "sticky" with this.

Edited by BigDod

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time ......T.S. Elliot
Suspense is worse than disappointment................Robert Burns
God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

Hi all,

After seeing a few requests on the forums for help learning how to use AutoIt (and after receiving a few PMs too) I decided to start working on a document that tries to teach this. I don't consider it anywhere near complete yet but the time of year for giving is now -- not later!

Please feel free to offer any feedback that you wish. Is it worth continuing? Have I said something stupidly wrong anywhere?

Season's greetings to all!

I could learn somthing off this but I got a problem opening the file :P

The error came up showing

There was an error opening this document. The filename, directory name, or volume lable syntax is incorrect.

i used Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional

Acrobat Reader crashed when I tried to open it.

Acro Reader 6.0.0

Firefox 1.0.7

Configured to read in browser

Yes yes yes, there it was. Youth must go, ah yes. But youth is only being in a way like it might be an animal. No, it is not just being an animal so much as being like one of these malenky toys you viddy being sold in the streets, like little chellovecks made out of tin and with a spring inside and then a winding handle on the outside and you wind it up grrr grrr grrr and off it itties, like walking, O my brothers. But it itties in a straight line and bangs straight into things bang bang and it cannot help what it is doing. Being young is like being like one of these malenky machines.

Great - keep up the good work.

(Sent you a PM about some minor points.)

No problem opening the PDF inside IE6 on XP(SP2)

Adobe Acrobat 7.0.5 Professional

Also no problem: right-click on PDF link, Save Target As, "Save As" to local HD...

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

Thanks for the responses. I'm sorry to hear that some of you are having trouble opening the file:

There was an error opening this document. The filename, directory name, or volume lable syntax is incorrect.

Acrobat Reader crashed when I tried to open it.

···

Configured to read in browser

The only advice I can offer is to try saving the file via this separate download link (removed) and opening it separately from your web browser.

Due to the way my typesetting software works (at least by default), running example code copied directly from the document containing apostrophes will cause an AutoIt error. I'll see what I can do about that.

Are there any other issues with what I've currently written?

Edit: Separate download link removed. Please refer to the initial post.

Edited by LxP

no problem Firefox 1.5 w/ Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional

kinda hijacking this thread but would anyone be intrested in a dllcalling tutorial ?

(problly rangeing from a command that takes no parameters to full blown structures)

Edited by w0uter

My UDF's:;mem stuff_Mem;ftp stuff_FTP ( OLD );inet stuff_INetGetSource ( OLD )_INetGetImage _INetBrowse ( Collection )_EncodeUrl_NetStat_Google;random stuff_iPixelSearch_DiceRoll

• Moderators

no problem Firefox 1.5 w/ Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional

kinda hijacking this thread but would anyone be intrested in a dllcalling tutorial ?

(problly rangeing from a command that takes no parameters to full blown structures)

Sounds like something that could/would be neatly integrated with LxP's idea... I'm all for it personally.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}> Update: December 27, 2005

• Code can now be pasted into scripts without causing errors.
  • Rewrote the section on how to enter string values into a script.
  • Improved the Values exercises.
  • Added information on optional parameters to the Functions section.
  • Added an Example function calls subsection.
  • Added a Functions exercise.
  • Added solutions for all exercises.
When everyone's happy with the sections that are currently written, I'll start on the next one: Variables. Thanks again for the feedback so far and all feedback continues to be welcome.

Great idea, need any help ?

I'd love to hear if there are any errors in what I've written, if something isn't explained sufficiently or how the exercises may be improved (e.g. are there better questions to be asked?).

Edit: Added link to top post (where the update is available).

Edited by LxP

• Moderators

This would be a great 'Sticky' Topic until it's complete IMHO.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

This would be a great 'Sticky' Topic until it's complete IMHO.

I agree, even after it is completed as well.

Keep up the good work LxP :P

God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

Latest version: December 27, 2005

After seeing a few requests on the forums for help learning how to use AutoIt (and after receiving a few PMs too) I decided to start working on a document that tries to teach this. All feedback is highly encouraged.

.....(The previous version had 124 downloads)

If you have trouble viewing the PDF in your browser, please first download it by right-clicking the link and selecting Save Link As... or similar and then launch it separately from your browser.

haha. good job man, you beat me to it. i've actually been working on something very similar, but didn't want to say anything about it until i was satisfied with what i had. Now i'll have to think of something else to kill time at work between posts...

Good teacher,

I don't know if you have the intention to document the returns of a function perhaps not the byRef.

I think instead of underlining the good way as for '' it could be better to paint it ''. (sorry I don't know how to paint the backgound with the forum tools)

Follow your very good job :P

Edited by jpm

I still think this is a great project.

I am really just trying to keep it on the first page so people see it.

Almost as good as being a sticky.