Search For A Program

Try to search through the registry-keys...

Dim $i
While 1
    $i=$i+1
    $var = RegEnumKey("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall", $i)
    If @error <> 0 then ExitLoop
    MsgBox(4096, "SubKey #" & $i & " under Uninstall: ", $var)
WEnd

You could replace MsgBox with

If $var='AddMySoftwareHere' Then 
$Found=1
ExitLoop
EndIf

If $Found=1 Then DoSomething
Edited by dabus

If the program saved registry values, check for those values.

If the program installs certain libraries in the windows folder, check for those files.

Otherwise, try using StringInString on the output of "tree C:".

$ourProcess = Run(@ComSpec & " /k tree C:", @WorkingDir, @SW_HIDE, 2)
$found = 0
$progfoldername = "Dev-Cpp"
while not @error
  If StringInStr(StdoutRead($ourProcess), $progfoldername) Then
     $found = 1
     ExitLoop
  EndIf
wend

;;;;;;; now, if program folder is found, $found == 1.

#)

Edited by nfwu

ok thanks guys even tho im still a little lost i will figure it out. j/w wut would i do if i didnt know if the program writes stuf the the registry?? im trying to make a script for my grandpa (hes computer illiterate) that will check to see if a browser is installed then launch it if it is.

A great place to start Autoit 1-2-3

ok thanks guys even tho im still a little lost i will figure it out. j/w wut would i do if i didnt know if the program writes stuf the the registry?? im trying to make a script for my grandpa (hes computer illiterate) that will check to see if a browser is installed then launch it if it is.

do you meant like internet explorer or some other type of "browser" ?

yea internet explorer, mozilla fire fox, and he has this other browser that got installed when i put aim on his computer called AOL Explorer is there a way to see if these programs are installed??

Edited by Zmaster

A great place to start Autoit 1-2-3

yea internet explorer, mozilla fire fox, and he has this other browser that got installed when i put aim on his computer called AOL Explorer is there a way to see if these programs are installed??

if its windows xp sp2 you can use the "Set Program Access and Defaults" to use what ever internet browser you have then just create a shortcut to some URL you want him to go to first.

ie for my machine at home i want my missus to use Firefox and not Internet explorer so i changed the Default internet browser to Firefox and removed the links to internet explorer from the desktop, so now if she just types in a URL in the address bar it will auto open in Firefox.

dunno if this helps you or not.