SQLite slower than text files????

Hi All.

I had heard so much about SQLite being so fast so I was considering converting my

existing script from using text files to using a database. But, when I wrote some

simple scripts to compare speed I was surprised to see that the SQLite functions were

WAY slower than just writing to text files.

The code below just writes 2 rows to a table. The INSERT statement takes about 280 ms.

If I increase it to writing 4 rows, then it goes up to 385 ms.

Using the good old _FileWriteFromArray() it takes about 3 ms. What gives??? Am I doing

something wrong because the whole world seems to agree that SQLite is faster than using

text file?? Is it something to do with the way Autoit incorporates it or is this an underlying

SQLite issue??

Thanks for any light you can shed on this mystery....

#include <sqlite.au3>
#include <sqlite.dll.au3>

$start=TimerInit()
Dim $timer[6]
_SQLite_Startup()
$timer[1]=TimerDiff($start)
_SQLite_Open("C:\Mark\Programs\Database\test.db")
$timer[2]=TimerDiff($start)
_SQLite_Exec(-1,"Insert into tblTest8 values ('1',2,3);" & _        
               "Insert into tblTest8 values (Null,50,6);")
$timer[3]=TimerDiff($start)
_SQLite_Close()
$timer[4]=TimerDiff($start)
_SQLite_Shutdown()
$timer[5]=TimerDiff($start)

ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & "1- " & $timer[1] & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & "2- " & $timer[2] & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & "3- " & $timer[3] & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & "4- " & $timer[4] & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & "5- " & $timer[5] & @CRLF)

I'm not sure you understand the benefits of using a database.

If your data is so simple that it can be stored using text files do so.

In my case, my latest project currently has around 10 tables, some with as many as 12 columns. I can select any of the variables stored using complex queries and I can preform most operations within the actual sql query itself. This is where using a database outperforms text files.

[font="Impact"] I always thought dogs laid eggs, and I learned something today. [/font]

My project would have many tables with up to around 20 columns per table. I may have to load

as many as 100 or so records per screen refresh and I would have to write only 1 record at a time.

I was just trying to get a handle on how much faster the data could be read/written. I can definitely

see the advantage in using complex queries. I have to search through many text files to do something

similar. So no question there.

But it looks like the actual read/write for a given record would definitely be faster with pipe delimited

text files. It doesn't seem to be an advantage even for very large data insertions.

Use SQLite when you have many rows. Then you will see the power of it.

Also use transactions for speed optimize.

If you explicitly don't call BEGIN/COMMIT then SQLite internally call COMMIT after each command which slows down whole process.

_SQLite_Startup()
_SQLite_Open("C:\Mark\Programs\Database\test.db")
_SQLite_Exec (-1, "BEGIN;")
_SQLite_Exec(-1,"Insert into tblTest8 values ('1',2,3);" & _        
               "Insert into tblTest8 values (Null,50,6);")
; ... many other insert/update/delete commands here ...
_SQLite_Exec (-1, "COMMIT;")
_SQLite_Close()
_SQLite_Shutdown()

EDIT:

Also as opposite to plain TXT you can quickly pick up set of desired rows from large amount of records by SELECT ... FROM ... WHERE ...

Edited by Zedna

Every insert operation it is treated by SQLite as a transaction. After each transaction SQLite will flush all data to database file. So each insertion needs supplementary time to complete.

Solution:

You can group multiple insertions into a single transaction, something like this

<pseudo code>

BEGIN TRANSACTION

Insert

Insert

…..

COMMIT

</pseudo code>

This mechanism speeds insertions a lot.

Details about this technique in sqlite documentation

http://www.sqlite.org/

• 3 years later...

Before anyone says anything, I know it is an old post, but I have fallen upon it and the answer was not given. AutoIT is slower if you use SQLite's UDF's. It is faster to create .sql files and then run a shell command with sqlite3. For instance, I parsed an output file from another software that had 7000 lines and I created an .sql file and then ran a shell command to input it into the SQL database. This was 80% faster than using the _SQLite_Exec() command. Of course in both tests I used the BEGIN & COMMIT statements. If you are inputing alot of data create a text file and run a shell command:

RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c sqlite3 my_sqlite_db.db3 < temp_commit.sql","",@SW_HIDE)

Having said that I use the SQLite UDF's all the time for smaller convenient transactions. I generally use them for storing all my data in my applications, but AutoIT is not known for it's performance, it is for it's ease of use and massive support group.

Time is precious, search wisely.

Once this dead body is necroed, yes the CLI (command-line interface) can reveal faster in many instances but not all.

Another advice is to postpone index creation until most/all of the bulk data is inserted.

Depending on schema and columns characteristics, the new WAL mode can be beneficial (only with more recent sqlite3.dll versions).

DB parameters (cache size and more obscure options) can also make a large difference.

Also loading a :memory: DB then backuping it to disk is also a good way to speed things up wastly.

So yes, the invokation of DLL functions with AutoIt makes it significantly slow but there is no definite rule of thumb for optimal speed. OTOH, bulk insertion is generally a one-time job launched at DB creation, hence rarely a routine bottleneck in everyday's use.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)