Failed multi-threading experiment.

Looking at the help file, I see that AutoIt has the ability to pass callback pointers to dll functions. Now, from what I understand, AutoIt does not support multi-threading. Others have made this clear to me. Nevertheless, I still tried to use an autoit function as a separate thread by calling it from the a dll. Now, the function appeared to execute as another thread, seeing some of its code was executed in parallel, but then AutoIt terminated with an error. Can someone explain this to me? I'm not imposing multi-threaded functionality on AutoIt, nor am I urging the developers to do it. It was just an experiment. But I would like to know why it failed.

Edited by WaitingForZion
Spoiler

"This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." (I John 1:5-10)

Read this.

The basic idea is that the autoit interpreter is not thread-safe which means that the code could deadlock or crash at any time ( due to segfault, memory corruption or some other funky state) .

The key is: AutoIt doesn't support multi-threading for no reason. It's a technical problem which is not easy to solve (even more complex languages like Python have troubles with threading).

Hope it answers some of your wonders.

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!