noob wants to automate cmd based app

Firstly. I have read the FAQ's and watched some video tuts to see if this app can (help me) do what I want, and i'm not clear.

1) I have not done any programming since a couple days with machine language on an 8088 CPU in 1985 (yes, i'm old) :-)

2) I'm here (for now) to create a simple GUI for a command line based utility that is essentially a file extractor.

I see there are some predefined sample files of treeview and menu code. These are some of the basic building blocks I will need (for the paths to the files so the utility can operate on them) and I will mess with that later.

However, The first problem I have (and searching the boards really did not return me anything, at least, that I could understand at this early stage), is how to set up the script to call (and run within) a windows (run) cmd window. Without this, A script would be useless.

Please dont bite my head off, i'm just totally new with this and really dont want to waste my, or anyone elses time here, with trying to learn all this if I cant make the script work with/call the windows run cmd window.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Look at Run(),RunWait(), and ShellExecute() in the help file. The help file typically use Notepad.exe for the example scripts, but you could open a CMD shell just as easily:

$iRET = RunWait(@ComSpec & " /k DIR /B")
MsgBox(64, "Result", "Returned ERRORLEVEL = " & $iRET)

:D

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Many thanks. Again, apologies for putting the cart before the horse. Just wanted to make sure that before I went to the hardware store for the wood, wheels, and nails for the cart, that the horse was not already at the glue factory....

Edited by SliFallen