Best way to build program

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to codeing so go easy!

I am writing a script that will present the user with a dropdown menu of servers. They will select one and this will return the username and password for it. There is over 100 servers on my companies books so I'm wondering what is the best way to declare usernames and passwords? Would you have them read from an Excel file? Have them all built into the code as variables? Read from a different sort of file?

Thanks for the advice, knowing the best way to start this could illeviate problems late on!

Cheers

Andy

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to codeing so go easy!

I am writing a script that will present the user with a dropdown menu of servers. They will select one and this will return the username and password for it. There is over 100 servers on my companies books so I'm wondering what is the best way to declare usernames and passwords? Would you have them read from an Excel file? Have them all built into the code as variables? Read from a different sort of file?

Thanks for the advice, knowing the best way to start this could illeviate problems late on!

Cheers

Andy

This is not a reply to your question, but isn't it defeating the idea of having passwords if anyone can just read them all?

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

If you built them into the code you would have to change the code every time a new server was added, or taken down or something, and I don't know about how well reading excel files works, so I'm inclined to say make it read an ini file. That you can change, and just have the program re-read it every time you need it. It would be fairly simple to add a new server or take one out from the .ini. Look under File and Directory Managment in the AutoIt help file for info in the ini functions

Also, about the passwords issue martin said, you could code a password in to view the passwords, and encrypt the ini file using autoit

Edited by mistersquirrle

We ought not to misbehave, but we should look as though we could.

MrSquirrle:

You post makes interesting reading. ini is probably the way forward. I imagine an Excel sheet would be quite slow to read, embedding into the code as variables would not be anymore trouble to change that the ini but would be messier. ini it is i guess! Thanks!

Martin:

Obviously this would not be open source! The program would be encrypted/password protected and distributed only amongst engineers.

Martin:

Obviously this would not be open source! The program would be encrypted/password protected and distributed only amongst engineers.

As long as you realize that it is not possible to make an AutoIt script which cannot be decompiled and the passwords discovered.
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

I doubt you'd have to worry about the program being hacked. I mean, if you're making this program, it's going to be for other people in the company right? Not really distributed to someone who'd want to hack it to get some passwords would it? I think that using AutoIt to encrypt the ini, and hard coding a master password would be enough for what you want to do

Edited by mistersquirrle

We ought not to misbehave, but we should look as though we could.