Differences between Spy++ And AutoIt Window Info

I've been having problems getting AutoIt to automate an application.

This is probably mostly due to my not having used AutoIt for several years.

I've run Visual Studio's Spy ++ and it is able to access & highlight the same controls that I haven't been able to automate through AutoIt.

AutoIt Window info won't show me the control ID for these controls, but Spy++ does.

However, when I use the control ID from Spy++, I still can't "find the control" with AutoIt.

Why is it that Spy++ can give me the control ID but AutoIt Window info can't?

I can also get the actual handle of the control I'm trying to automate with Spy++. Is this of any use- from AutoIt??

I've run Visual Studio's Spy ++ and it is able to access & highlight the same controls that I haven't been able to automate through AutoIt.

AutoIt Window info won't show me the control ID for these controls, but Spy++ does.

However, when I use the control ID from Spy++, I still can't "find the control" with AutoIt.

Spy++ is a great tool that's for sure!! If you program with Visual Studio then you probably know about COMs. Look in the au3 Help file for COM Objects. See if that helps you. this is an excerpt from the Help file:

Do I need COM in my AutoIt script?

It just depends. AutoIt has a lot of built-in functions and a huge library of UDF's. You can do most of your programming with these. However if you need special 'interfacing' to other applications, using COM might save you some lines of script. Scripters have to be aware that the existence of COM Objects depend HEAVILY on the Operating System AND the installed software. The examples below have all been tested under a 'plain' Windows XP professional version with Microsoft Office 2000.

Cheers!

Spy++ is a great tool that's for sure!! If you program with Visual Studio then you probably know about COMs. Look in the au3 Help file for COM Objects. See if that helps you. this is an excerpt from the Help file:

Cheers!

I know what COM is- but try to avoid it at all costs. It's a pin to use, and quite often unreliable.

My original message said nothing about com, I'm just trying to figure out if the info Spy++ is giving me can

help me get autoit to find the controls. I haven't been able to find any of the controls in the app I'm trying to automate, using my autoit script.

thanks