PowerCfg

i'm another noob trying out AutoIt and have my first stumbling block. i have many machines to build and have a batch file to configure power settings. It works. i'd like to do it in AutoIt without calling the batch file since i'm already importing a .pow file; the fewer individual files to mess with the better.

How would i go about setting up a DOS session that i could feed my lines into? i can do one line, but the way i'm seeing things i'd have to perform multiple DOS sessions to get where i want to go.

Thanks!

Dave

You can just run the powercfg.exe straight and feed it parameters via the Run function.

Ok?? This is what i've got so far...

#requireadmin                             ;Vista requirement
run(@COMSPEC & " /k" & " powercfg /l")    ;Just to see if it's working
run("powercfg -?")                        ;Just to see if it's working
run("powercfg /query")                    ;Another working check

i guess what i was expecting to see is one DOS window with the required lines fed in one at a time. What i get is one window that stays open (that's the "/k" one) and two that flash up and go away. Is there a way to do what i expect, one window that the lines feed into?

Dave

Why do you need to feed lines into a DOS window?

Isn't your script supposed to be non-interactive and automatically configures power settings? Isn't that supposed to get the job done?

The end product would be a compiled AutoIt script that uses powercfg to configure the power settings of the machine it was run on.

Edited by omikron48

Yep, non-interactive, push a button or call it and it does it's thing and exits. i'm more used to watching to detect errors, setting break points and such to make sure that everything works correctly. i was expecting AutoIt to provide that facility, much like Kix or batch files. Maybe Kix would be better for this portion and AutoIt for installing other Windows applications before introducing computers to the network.

Thanks,

Dave

Yep, non-interactive, push a button or call it and it does it's thing and exits. i'm more used to watching to detect errors, setting break points and such to make sure that everything works correctly. i was expecting AutoIt to provide that facility, much like Kix or batch files. Maybe Kix would be better for this portion and AutoIt for installing other Windows applications before introducing computers to the network.

Thanks,

Dave

If it's important that you see what is going on then create a batch file with a similar name to the program you want to run.

e.g.

powercfg_test.bat

powercfg %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
Pause

This will run the command then PAUSE for you to see what is going on.

When you are sure it's working then use the main programs name instead of the batch file.

Also I'd suggest to use ShellExecute/ShellExecuteWait as it's a closer to how batch files execute commands (as I understand it).

If you just want simple dumb scripts then BATCH is the way to go but if you want to add "intelligence" to the script then AutoIT is defiantly the best choice.

Good Luck

Thanks Storme.

i've got LOTS of experience (20+ years really) with .BAT files, a little with Kix, and none with AutoIt. That's part of the reason i wanted to watch what the files actually did. For debugging i want to watch to ensure everything's done that i want done, after it's all worked out i really don't mind if it doesn't show much as long as i know it's doing it's thing.

i found AutoIt by accident and thought a "simple dumb script" would be the best first step. i'll keep plugging along, thanks for the assist!

Dave