A couple of miscellaneous queries

I'm developing my skills in Autoit, but not yet mastered it!!

My first question is escaping fro within a user-defined function.

I'd like to end the function prematurely using a If statement - eg

If $var = 1 Then

endfunc

endif

You can do this with a exit command, from the whole script, but adding a conditional endfunc throws up an error.

The helpfile says "Use the Return keyword to exit the function." but gives no syntax or example. Or maybe I'm not reading it right?

Can anyone shed light on this? Preferably with an example or two!

My second is probably a more general programming question.

The word.au3 file uses 'getcollection' quite a lot in the examples, where it would seem to work with just the following command.

What is the underlying meaning of a 'collection' in this context, as I don't really understand the concept.

If anyone could expalin or point me towards a [fairly basic] tutorial on the internet I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

William

Edited by saywell

2. Collection means an array of COM objects, which you would walk through with For/In/Next. See OBJ/COM Reference in the help file.

:blink:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

1. Look at the Helpfile topic: Func...Return...EndFunc

Well, I did just that - and even pasted a quote from it in my original query! So I don't think your reply has added to my undersatnding of the situation!

The examples are using the word ' in the context of 'Return' in the cotext of returning a result, not as a way of prematurely terminating the function as indicated in the quote Use the Return keyword to exit the function.

Perhaps soemone else can clarify this for me?

William

• Developers

Well, your question was how to stop and return from a Func...EndFunc before the end and the answer is : Return (not Exit which stop the Script execution).

Jos

edit: sorry I didn't read about the "someone else bit before answering" .. so My apologise for answering anyway.

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

2. Collection means an array of COM objects, which you would walk through with For/In/Next. See OBJ/COM Reference in the help file.

:blink:

Thanks, PsaltyDS - I'll see if the links at the end are simple enough for me!

So for doing a single action , the get collection may not be necessary - only if doing multiple processes in a loop?

William

Well, your question was how to stop and return from a Func...EndFunc before the end and the answer is : Return (not Exit which stop the Script execution).

Jos

edit: sorry I didn't read about the "someone else bit before answering" .. so My apologise for answering anyway.

That's OK, Jos! You've helped this time by indicating that return is to function as exit is to script. The value then is whatever I specify to be what the func returns to the calling process? Is that right?

These things are not always as evident as you might expect, to someone who's not used them before!

Thanks

William

• Developers

I understand but it really is explained in the Helpfile page I pointed to. :blink:

Use the Return keyword to exit the function. Unlike built-in functions, user-defined functions return 0 unless another return value is specified.

Just have a play with it and you see its pretty strait forward.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I understand but it really is explained in the Helpfile page I pointed to. :blink:

Just have a play with it and you see its pretty straight forward.

Jos

Yup, you're right it is straightforward. But I read it a number of times without coming to that conclusion! It was the second part of the quote that put me off track.

Regards,

William