Icons not appearing when running script in an RDP session

idbirch

I've always wondered why icons created with GuiCtrlCreateIcon don't appear if you run your script or compiled .exe in an RDP session. I though it might be the RDP experience settings but even with everything ramped up to max, icons in my GUI still don't show.

Buttons which have ImageLists applied to them (_GUICtrlButton_SetImageList) look OK and icons in message boxes also appear correctly. Is there any way to fix this behaviour?

btw, the RDP session is into a Server 2003 box from an XP machine, not sure if that has anything to do with it?

• 6 months later...

I've recently revisited this and found the problem - Windows Server 2003 (and possibly other server OSs) can't seem to extract icons from within a DLL if the icon is referenced by name. I was using code like this:

GUICtrlCreateIcon($DLLPath, "Icon_User", 24, 24, 48, 48)

This resulted in no icon being displayed when the script was run on Server 2k3. XP, Vista, 7 etc were all fine. If I sub the icon name for the index, the icon appears so this is the working version for Server 2k3:

GUICtrlCreateIcon($DLLPath, -63, 24, 24, 48, 48)

Only problem now is that my 48x48 icons are showing up incredibly blurry (which I think is why I was using the icon names instead, that fixed the blur issue). Anyone have any ideas why referencing by name would give a pristine icon and using the index would cause blur?