Update a database

Hi,

I'm working a Windows Service for desktop computers and the service needs to update a database. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and can help.

I have created the service, but I want to avoid a network account to run the service, since network passwords change.

Progams like McAfee ePO update databases, though I'm not sure how.

Any help or insight would be really appreciated.

I though about NT Authority\NetworkService. But I think this is a local account to the PC, and you would have to add this computer account to the database for it to work - though I could be wrong.

When I tried to run the service as NT Authority\NetworkService I got a 14001 error: "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. ...."

Yet it works fine running as a local service

Where is the database, relative to the computer running the service? On the same computer, a server in the same domain, a remote web server, or what?

:unsure:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Where is the database, relative to the computer running the service? On the same computer, a server in the same domain, a remote web server, or what?

The database is on a MS SQL Server on the domain. The service will be on a desktop PC on the same domain. Ideally I hope to install the service on numerous Desktop PCs.

Just use a domain account created just for running that service. Make that account an SQL user with access to the DB, and have the service script use ADODB connections to update the database.

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law