AutoIt3 + Visual C++ 2010 Express Edition

I really like how Au3 works and I would like to use it with C++/ I saw a thread here describing how but it just doesn't seem to be working for me

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/60107-using-autoitx-in-visual-c-and-dev-c/

Here is what I do:

1: Create new project -> Empty Project Visual C++ ( I named it Attempt )

2: Copy AutoIt3.h AutoItX3.lib AutoItX3.dll main.cpp and Paste into my project file directory (Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Attempt)

3: When I try to do "in visual studio, go to Project->Add To Project->Files" I have no option of "Add To Project" but there is an option to add existing files which ends up adding all of the above files

4: I now try to run, this is the error I get

1>------ Build started: Project: Attempt, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>  main.cpp
1>c:\users\pent\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\attempt\main.cpp(17): error C2664: 'AU3_Run' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const char [12]' to 'LPCWSTR'
1>          Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
1>c:\users\pent\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\attempt\main.cpp(18): error C2664: 'AU3_WinWaitActive' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const char [11]' to 'LPCWSTR'
1>          Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
1>c:\users\pent\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\attempt\main.cpp(19): error C2664: 'AU3_Send' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const char [9]' to 'LPCWSTR'
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

5: I now try to change "APIENTRY WinMain(....)" in main.cpp to "main()" and run and I get this error

1>------ Build started: Project: Attempt, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>  main.cpp
1>c:\users\pent\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\attempt\main.cpp(14): error C2664: 'AU3_Run' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const char [12]' to 'LPCWSTR'
1>c:\users\pent\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\attempt\main.cpp(15): error C2664: 'AU3_WinWaitActive' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const char [11]' to 'LPCWSTR'
1>c:\users\pent\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\attempt\main.cpp(16): error C2664: 'AU3_Send' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const char [9]' to 'LPCWSTR'
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Btw I'm running windows 7 x64 , I also tried the x64 versions of the files to add in directory, it didn't help.

Can someone lead me in the right direction?

I have uploaded my project folder in an archive, the file exceeds the 64k so I uploaded to a file host. I will post the url to it if I am allowed/ if any1 wants to see it.

Edited by rohaa8673

Your problem is that you are passing multibyte strings to functions that expect wide strings (AutoIt is unicode).

Use wchar_t instead of char, and prefix your string literals with L like so:

const wchar_t my_string[] = L"String data";

Ever wanted to call functions in another process? ProcessCall UDFConsole stuff: Console UDFC Preprocessor for AutoIt OMG

Thank you so much, everything works fine now. I guess now I actually have to code the script :mellow:

What I ended up doing was declaring the strings before using them:

const wchar_t my_string[] = L"notepad.exe";

const wchar_t my_string2[] = L"Untitled -";

const wchar_t my_string3[] = L"Hello{!}";

const wchar_t my_string4[] = L"";

AU3_Sleep(1000);

AU3_Run(my_string, my_string4, 1);

AU3_WinWaitActive(my_string2, my_string4, 0);

AU3_Send(my_string3, 0);

Is there any way I could make things a bit more efficient?

Thank you so much, everything works fine now. I guess now I actually have to code the script :mellow:

What I ended up doing was declaring the strings before using them:

const wchar_t my_string[] = L"notepad.exe";

const wchar_t my_string2[] = L"Untitled -";

const wchar_t my_string3[] = L"Hello{!}";

const wchar_t my_string4[] = L"";

AU3_Sleep(1000);

AU3_Run(my_string, my_string4, 1);

AU3_WinWaitActive(my_string2, my_string4, 0);

AU3_Send(my_string3, 0);

Is there any way I could make things a bit more efficient?

No problem, and yeah you can do it directly:

AU3_Sleep(1000);
    AU3_Run(L"notepad.exe", L"", 1);
    AU3_WinWaitActive(L"Untitled -", L"", 0);
    AU3_Send(L"Hello{!}", 0);

Ever wanted to call functions in another process? ProcessCall UDFConsole stuff: Console UDFC Preprocessor for AutoIt OMG