How to hidden file with autoit

The dock I have created is kind of like StarDock stuff. It is a floating dock that can be draged and I have it to install 2000 icons to choice from so that you can change any Icon that is on the dock. This is why I need to hide only the selected icons and then make them not hidden when the dock is closed.

As for malicious code, LOL

Anyone who learns Autoit can do malicious code if they really wanted to or at least I know I could if I wanted too. My question was not malicious at all because I clearly stated that the code I posted was working in XP at my work place but when I tried it at home on Windows7 it did not work correctly anymore.

Thanks for all your help, once I finish the dock I will PM you guys that helped out with this, and I will send the download link to you.

I wasn't implying your query had malicious intentions, just that bad apps make use those attributes and some people usually disable them so they can spot the bad apples, thus making use of that tactic in your code was not common due to that existing factor.

Anyway, I'm very interested in your script, I've been contemplating making a similar one like stardock too, have you seen example? There are a few out there but that one is one that stands out a little, I haven't seen a better one yet.

I wasn't implying your query had malicious intentions, just that bad apps make use those attributes and some people usually disable them so they can spot the bad apples, thus making use of that tactic in your code was not common due to that existing factor.

Anyway, I'm very interested in your script, I've been contemplating making a similar one like stardock too, have you seen example? There are a few out there but that one is one that stands out a little, I haven't seen a better one yet.

Yes I have looked at that sliding dock and I like it a lot.

Have you looked at this one? It to me is the best one yet.

I am using this included udf that eukalyptus created. It is awesome... It opens up a whole bunch of possibilities.

If you look at how StarDock does it you may have a head start. It doesn't hide the shortcuts. It creates new ones on the dock then deletes the on from the desktop while maintaining the information in an ini file so it knows what to put back if you remove the matching Dock item.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

If you look at how StarDock does it you may have a head start. It doesn't hide the shortcuts. It creates new ones on the dock then deletes the on from the desktop while maintaining the information in an ini file so it knows what to put back if you remove the matching Dock item.

Yah I was looking at that but I don't want to have to make it find the original link of the file that it deletes. To me it is a lot easier just to hide one at a time. This way I'm not removing any file. My script has a .ini file that the dock reads from. The .ini file is created when the settings are saved by pressing a button then the dock is relaunched with the icons that have been picked. I also have it remembering the location of each icon so that when they reappear the icon is put back in the correct location on the desktop. This dock will help clean the desktop while the dock is running. I then will be able to make more docks that can be archived. One for Games, one for doc/excel/outlook and so on......

I didn't wan't to tell him that just yet because I wanted to see if he was actually doing it the way implied, lol.

I have it to install 2000 icons to chose from so that you can change any Icon that is on the dock.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make fun of you but that method is a little outrageous you know?

Yah I was looking at that but I don't want to have to make it find the original link of the file that it deletes. To me it is a lot easier just to hide one at a time. This way I'm not removing any file. My script has a .ini file that the dock reads from. The .ini file is created when the settings are saved by pressing a button then the dock is relaunched with the icons that have been picked. I also have it remembering the location of each icon so that when they reappear the icon is put back in the correct location on the desktop. This dock will help clean the desktop while the dock is running. I then will be able to make more docks that can be archived. One for Games, one for doc/excel/outlook and so on......

I think you're using icons incorrectly.

Why not create a resource dll, add the icons to the dll and use them in a gui from there and avoid that mess? I don't wan't to be rude but if that was a good method, don't you think there would be more apps using it?

I didn't wan't to tell him that just yet because I wanted to see if he was actually doing it the way implied, lol.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make fun of you but that method is a little outrageous you know?

Why not create a resource dll, add the icons to the dll and use them in a gui from there and avoid that mess? I don't wan't to be rude but if that was a good method, don't you think there would be more apps using it?

LOL, yah your right it is outrageous to make it install 2000 icons but it allows more options. That would be awesome to put them in a dll but I have not yet been down that learning curve just yet. I have never created a dll before but I here it is hard. I created a macro in excel that found all the icons and then wrote the Autoit install script.

LOL, yah your right it is outrageous to make it install 2000 icons but it allows more options. That would be awesome to put them in a dll but I have not yet been down that learning curve just yet. I have never created a dll before but I here it is hard. I created a macro in excel that found all the icons and then wrote the Autoit install script.

Upload the icons in a zip file to here and I'll put them in a dll if you wan't, you can easily do it with autoit, even create the dll.

Then you can enumerate the resources in the dll file and have them displayed in a GUI for selection and even add more custom icons to the dll, its not to hard.

It's a whole lot better than polluting the desktop or a folder with all these icons.

Edited by THAT1ANONYMOUSEDUDE

Upload the icons in a zip file to here and I'll put them in a dll if you wan't, you can easily do it with autoit, even create the dll.

Then you can enumerate the resources in the dll file and have them displayed in a GUI for selection and even add more custom icons to the dll, its not to hard.

It's a whole lot better than polluting the desktop or a folder with all these icons.

OK, but give me a few minutes

Just for future reference:

+H adds the hidden attribute to a file or folder

-H removes the hidden attribute.

+R adds the Read Only attribute,

-R removes it.

+S adds the system file attribute,

-S removes it.

+A adds the archived attribute,

-A removed it.

As far as I am aware, they are the only attributes which can be set via command line.

And THAT1ANONYMOUSEDUDE, is there an easy way to place resource files in a DLL, as far as you are aware? Or do you program your DLLs too? If so, what language do you use, and are there any good tutorials for this sort of thing?

Thanks.

Edited by Mikeman27294

OK that site you sent me too, only allows 10MB file at a time so I uploaded the whole toolbar here. It will install the icons. It is a 241.6 MB file.

A little over 1000 ico and 1000 png

http://www.fileserve.com/file/KvGdhs4/IconDock_v1.rar

When you first run the toolbar give it a minute because it is put files in the correct directory.

Then after it is done click on the tray icon and then click settings. Give it a minute because it is installing all the icons.

This is the directory it puts everything

@UserProfileDir & "\Toolbar Dock\"

-R removes it.

-S removes it.

-A removed it.

As far as I am aware, they are the only attributes which can be set via command line.

And THAT1ANONYMOUSEDUDE, is there an easy way to place resource files in a DLL, as far as you are aware? Or do you program your DLLs too? If so, what language do you use, and are there any good tutorials for this sort of thing?

Thanks.

Search the forum for Trancexx's Resource hacker project or Resource viewer and compiler, It only works with resources, I sort of took her thing apart and created a script that can automate adding resources to a dll and deleting them as well, using her awesome code in a udf format makes it easy.

-R removes it.

-S removes it.

-A removed it.

Thanks.

Yah I saw all of that in the help file back when I first looked it up. Thanks anyway

OK that site you sent me too, only allows 10MB file at a time so I uploaded the whole toolbar here. It will install the icons. It is a 241.6 MB file.

A little over 1000 ico and 1000 png

http://www.fileserve.com/file/KvGdhs4/IconDock_v1.rar

When you first run the toolbar give it a minute because it is put files in the correct directory.

Then after it is done click on the tray icon and then click settings. Give it a minute because it is installing all the icons.

This is the directory it puts everything

@UserProfileDir & "\Toolbar Dock\"

I just realized something, if you're having a hard time working with attributes, I think you might have an even harder time creating a script that can actually make use of the resources, especially if some of the icons are PNG images, but I'll make the dll and even give you the UDF I use so when you get more experiance you can hopefully make use of the UDF and the dll, I'll PM you in a while after I make the dll.

I just realized something, if you're having a hard time working with attributes, I think you might have an even harder time creating a script that can actually make use of the resources, especially if some of the icons are PNG images, but I'll make the dll and even give you the UDF I use so when you get more experiance you can hopefully make use of the UDF and the dll, I'll PM you in a while after I make the dll.

That sounds great. Let me know what you think of the toolbar so far. Remember it is beta

Oh yah, I forgot to tell you. Make sure the ( IconDock_v1.exe ) is on the desktop or it will not work correctly. The settings opens it from the desktop.

I have some experiance calling on dlls. I just have never tried to make one. I have always wanted to know how. I have messed around with all kinds of programs in my life from 3DS to game building to video rendering. I'm mostly a computer artist. I can do 3D and make it work with-in a game but I love learning Autoit.

Edited by FastJMAN1

Oh yah, I forgot to tell you. Make sure the ( IconDock_v1.exe ) is on the desktop or it will not work correctly. The settings opens it from the desktop.

I have some experiance calling on dlls. I just have never tried to make one. I have always wanted to know how. I have messed around with all kinds of programs in my life from 3DS to game building to video rendering. I'm mostly a computer artist. I can do 3D and make it work with-in a game but I love learning Autoit.

ScreenShot.png

It would be nice if the thing had an overflow control and would allow you to move it around so I can actually play with it :graduated:

I have messed around with all kinds of programs in my life from 3DS to game building to video rendering. I'm mostly a computer artist. I can do 3D and make it work with-in a game but I love learning Autoit.

WAIT Wait wait...

You can make games but you can't make a resource dll?

Edited by THAT1ANONYMOUSEDUDE

ScreenShot.png

It would be nice if the thing had an overflow control and would allow you to move it around so I can actually play with it :graduated:

WAIT Wait wait...

You can make games but you can't make a resource dll?

Yah I have yet to make it read every screen resolution. So you can't move it at all? I think I'm going to fix that part right now.

Yes, I have never had too make a dll. and yes it might be high time I start learning.

Yah I have yet to make it read every screen resolution. So you can't move it at all? I think I'm going to fix that part right now.

Yes, I have never had too make a dll. and yes it might be high time I start learning.

wow, we derailed this thread to astronomical proportions already, lets go to PM mode.