shutdown command

Hello -

I am using the shutdown command to log off and power off a PC or just reboot it. The help file says to use 9 to "shutdown + power down". What is the difference between shutdown and power down?

And - if I want to reboot, do I just use 2 (reboot) without logging out?

Thanks

Library Mark

• Moderators

Hi, LibrarianMark. Shutdown(2) will definitely reboot the machine, but will not force any applications to close. For that, you would combine it with 4 for force, so it would be

Shutdown(6)

As for the others, try them all out and you'll be able to see which one best fits your needs :)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Hi, LibrarianMark. Shutdown(2) will definitely reboot the machine, but will not force any applications to close. For that, you would combine it with 4 for force, so it would be

Shutdown(6)

As for the others, try them all out and you'll be able to see which one best fits your needs :)

Thanks for the reply. According to the help file, shutdown is 1, not 2. 2 is reboot. Would a 2 attempt to gracefully shut apps down or not?

0 = Logoff - Logs off current user (doesn't close programs)

1 = Shutdown - Shutsdown computer (doesn't close programs)

2 = Reboot - Restarts computer (doesn't close programs)

4 = Force - Forces programs to close

8 = Power down - This action physically powers off computer. (Hardware must support this)

16= Force if hung - Will force the action no matter what is stopping computer from shuting down

32= Standby - Sleep Mode

64= Hibernate - For laptops usally (hardware must support this as well)