Run Quark as administrator

Sorry to be posting regarding this topic yet again, but I've searched the forum, looked at samples and still I'm hitting a brick wall. I'm running QuarkXpress 8 on a couple of desktops and the program won't run unless I'm either logged in as administrator or right click the shortcut and choose Run As Administrator. Without administrative rights, I get a error of File Not Found [-43].

Here's the script I've tried based on samples I've found, but either I get the same File Not Found error or I immediately get Error: Incorrect number of parameters in function call.

; Fill in the username and password appropriate for your system.

Local $sUserName = "administrator"

Local $sDomain = "XYZ.lan"

Local $sPassword = "blahblah"

RunAs($sUserName, $sDomain, $sPassword)

Run("c:\program files\quark\quarkxpress 8\quarkxpress.exe")

I recall being able to get this to work in the past on a system at work for a program that required administrative rights. I believe that was AutoIt V2x, using RunAsSet on XP. I also tried to modify that script, which was successful, (replacing RunAsSet, which I believe is gone) and was unsuccessful.

Thanks for any suggestions. I really don't wish to give a user admin rights just to run Quark.

The RunAs function looks like this:

RunAs ( "username", "domain", "password", logon_flag, "program" [, "workingdir" [, show_flag [, opt_flag]]] )

you should use it like this:

RunAs($sUserName, $sDomain, $sPassword, 0,"c:program filesquarkquarkxpress 8quarkxpress.exe")

but replace 0 with what logon_flag you need to use from here

Edited by mihaibr

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem running a SumTotal Pathlore application that has several switches after the exe that require quotes in specific locations. This application must run in admin mode, and we do not make our users local admins for something like this. I'd rather they not have to type in the local account and password each time, so I wanted to create a script to do that for them. This is the command line directly from the shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Pathlore\Tools\psbMailCreate.exe" /R:Oracle /F:"SVDR" /U:pathlore_data

It's calling data from an Oracle database. It's the quotes around the "SVDR" that are giving the script problems. The application can't connect to ODBC if you don't have the quotes, and I can't get the script to compile if the quotes are there. Any suggestions?

I can shift-right click and run as different user with my support account, but most users of this application are not in support. I saw the #RequireAdmin to put in the script, and again I'm trying to bypass a login if possible.

Thanks!

E Powell

Austin, TX

• Moderators

Hi, elongp. Have you looked into using something like psexec to run the install under the System context? You could use psexec with your script to run the install remotely, just calling it with the right switches at run time. You could even delete it at the end of the script if you'd like to do some "cleanup".

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

This one runs quite well for me.

OS = Windows 7 Enterprise

; Fill in the username and password appropriate for your system.
Local $sUserName = "Administrator"
Local $sPassword = "PassWord"
; Run a command prompt as the other user.
Local $pid = RunAsWait($sUserName, @ComputerName, $sPassword, 0, "dfrgui.exe", @SystemDir)
; Wait for the process to close.
ProcessWaitClose($pid)

Came right out of the Example code in the help file.

RocTx