Automating FrameMaker keystrokes

Has anyone written a script to automate FrameMaker keystrokes? I'm running FrameMaker 7.1.

Specifically, I want to open a FM document and save it in MIF format.

With the help of another forum thread, I think I can get FM activated if it's not running, but the script that had to be used was not as straightforward as I would have hoped. And now I'm stuck on how to go farther to get my task done, which is why I'm wondering if anyone else has successfully written a script to manipulate FM.

Thanks!

I know it costs money, but have you looked at FrameScript? I've been using it for years and you can do amazing things in FrameMaker. I highly recommend it if you're wanting to do any FrameMaker automation.

Edited by JohnQSmith

Whenever someone says "pls" because it's shorter than "please", I say "no" because it's shorter than "yes".

Thank you for the suggestion. We are migrating from FrameMaker to InDesign for our publishing needs, and so it's hard to justify $150 for the FrameScript product, though it may well be just what we need.

We have over 20 years of FrameMaker documents that we might want to convert, and that's why I was hoping I could write an AutoIt script to perform this task as needed. Of course, I don't need a script to do one file at a time, but I was hoping to integrate the script into some other conversion software that I've written.

Do you know of anyone who has examples of AutoIt scripts that interact with FrameMaker?

Do you know of anyone who has examples of AutoIt scripts that interact with FrameMaker?

I do not. I used AutoIt to automate certain parts of our documentation process, but not directly interfacing with FM itself.

Whenever someone says "pls" because it's shorter than "please", I say "no" because it's shorter than "yes".